One Small Step For Grandchildren, One Giant Step For Me!

     My grandson likes the movie Aladdin.  We watch it almost everyday before nap time.  My children enjoyed it twenty some years ago too.  The music is catchy, and just hearing Robin Williams as the voice of the Genie, makes me laugh.
     I feel I can relate to the main character Aladdin, not as far as scrounging for food, or running from palace guards, but I can commiserate with his feeling of being trapped.
     I'm busy, very busy, these days, with my regular duties of cleaning, cooking, laundry, dishes, and grocery shopping.  Now, with my two grandchildren living with us, I feel like I am running in circles, chasing my tail, never catching it, so consequently, I'm feeling dizzy and frustrated.
     Everyday, as we watch Aladdin run from the guards, jumping, swinging, and climbing his way out of dangerous situations to survive, I find myself stopping to watch.  I sing along, as I empithize with him.
Aladdin's song- One Step  
https://youtu.be/fcTC7RkmHac
My version
Gotta keep,
One jump ahead of the toddler
One step ahead of his feet
I swear, my ass and a chair will never meet-
and that's everyday.
One jump ahead of these payments
That's all, and that's no joke
These collectors don't appreciate I'm broke
(Papa): Haha! Rug rats! Children!  Oh drat!
(Grandma): Just a little nap, kids
(Papa): Catch them! Stop it!
(Grandma): I can take a hint, gotta face the facts.  Chasing kids are making me nuts!
(Granddaughter): What?
(Papa): Oh it's sad, my wife has hit the bottom.  She's become a one woman general.  I can't blame her, cuz I know I'm not much better.
(Grandma): Gotta run to sleep, gotta sleep to run.  I've become a crazy, raging bull!
One jump ahead of these children
One skip ahead of my doom
Next time I think I'm gonna use the broom!
One jump ahead of the youngsters
One foot without a sock
I chase my little guy around the block.
(Papa): Stop, kid! What now?
(Grandma): Children!
(Papa): Oh wow!
(Grandma): Cat food isn't tasty!
(Grandson): I know, it makes my tongue all pasty-
(Grandma): Gotta run to sleep, gotta sleep to run!  You two have to learn to get along
(Papa): Wrong!
(Grandma): One jump ahead of the foot steps
(Papa):  Hey you!
(Grandma): One hop ahead of the crumbs
(Papa):  Rug rats!
(Grandma): One trick ahead of disaster
(Grandchildren):  Whýat did we do?
(Grandma):  I'm quick, but they're much faster
(Grandchildren):  Take that
(Grandma): Here goes, better put my shoes on, wish my stress was all gone
My belly's nauseous, where's the Tums!
Wish I had a magic carpet.




Comments

Popular Posts