Summer...Coming In Like A Lion

     This past Monday was Victoria Day here in Canada.    Queen Victoria's birthday, is the first holiday of our summer season.  We get a three day long weekend, complete with fireworks.  It's a great beginning to summer.
       My weekend began with my son's birthday, then fireworks, an evening with friends, and on Monday, a parade to celebrate the holiday.  However, by noon, I was feeling ill.  High fever, chills, body aches, sore throat and ears.  I had it all...again in less than a week.  What luck.
      This time, mom and grandma was down, and hard.  I couldn't even lift my head up off my pillow.  My grandchildren, God bless them, took it upon themselves to help nurse grandma back to health.  Let's say they are not Florence Nightingale.  At one point, I remember my grandson sitting on me, with his little fingers picking my nose.  I assumed he thought he was helping me clear my nose.  I can say, my nose was clean afterward.  After falling asleep again, I felt tiny wet drops falling on my face.  I opened one eye and I saw my granddaughter blowing bubbles toward me.  She had a great big smile on her face, as she was trying to make me feel better.  I had a difficult time assuring her bubbles definitely were not helping me feel better.
     Later, I was thirsty so I sat up to drink some water.  My water bottle was nowhere to be found.  I did however, have two cookies and a glass of orange juice on my bedside table, with a handmade card beside it.  My card had a picture of my granddaughter and I under a rainbow.  It was lovely.  The gesture was sweet, but I just wanted to drink some water.
       I had been freezing all day, even though I was wearing winter pajamas, and I was sleeping between flannel sheets, and a comforter.  My daughter put two extra quilts on the bed, which didn't help me warm up at all.  I was shivering, with a teeth chattering chill.  My grandchildren, came in to see how  I was feeling.  Upon seeing me huddled in a fetal position, shaking, they climbed up and hugged me, giving me the only thing they knew how.  Their love.  They also gave me their body warmth, which finally allowed me to warm up and once again fall asleep.
     This morning, I am feeling better.  The fever is gone, and I'm not as achey.  My throat and ears are still sore, but in time they will be better.
      I thought about the old belief we have here in North America, when March arrives, if it begins nice and mild, we say March came in like a lamb, so, it will likely go out like a lion, full of snow and storms.  I was wondering if my summer was beginning the same way.  The first long weekend of the season came in like a lion, full of flu and fever.  I am hoping, it will go out like a lamb, full of health and vigor.  I can hope.

     

Comments

Popular Posts