I'm Back!

     The past few days have been a whirlwind, taking care of sick and fevered children.  Even I have suffered from the effects of a fever.  I had forgotten how much a fever wipes a person out.
     I am feeling better myself, however my grandchildren aren't.  Pink cheeks, hot little bodies, and lethargy seem to be the norm this week.
     Being as I was feeling better, I took my husbands dinner out to him last night.  He had to eat dinner alone for the past couple of nights.  Because he works alone, it makes for a long night for him.  We went to the back of the parking area for peace and quiet.  This way nobody would interrupt him during his break.  This happens at least once every day.  Someone always seems to need their truck or trailer repaired to go back to work.  I parked between someones camper and a fifty three foot trailer. We were hoping this would guarantee us a full thirty minutes to talk.  Talking, has been a luxury we haven't had much of.  We were certainly feeling the effects of not spending time together.
     My husband ate his dinner, and we chatted away, trying to get everything that needed to be said crammed into his short break.  My husband received a phone call from dispatch.  There was a trailer that needed something, it was time to go back to the shop.
     I backed up, and began driving towards the front.  We heard a very loud noise.  It sounded like a train.  My husband put his head down and said "Oh no, is that a flat tire?"  I opened up my door and checked the tires on my side.  They were inflated and fine.  He did the same on his side.  They too were OK.  I continued to drive, but again, we heard this loud noise.  I stopped once again.   My husband got out, and crouched down, looking at the undercarriage of my car.  He jumped up with a strange expression on his face.  He pointed to the right and told me " Pull in there."  I did.  My husband walked over to my window and said "Remember that tire you drove around?"  I shook my head yes, knowing what that noise was.  I immediately began to laugh, a little at first, but then it turned into a great big hysterical belly laugh.  In fact, I couldn't stop, even if I wanted.  My husband was laughing, not because of the situation, but because I was.   He told me to back up slowly and turn the steering wheel sharply to the left.  I did exactly what he told me, still laughing.  I had to then turn the car sharply to the right and back up slowly once more.  I could hear the difference.  My car had finally let go of the tire.  When my husband picked it up and carefully placed it onto the hood of my car, I began another bout of laughter.
     My husband climbed back into the car so we could deliver it back to where it came from.  My husband put it back, no worse for wear, other than gobs of mud all over it.  My husband looked at me and asked me how I managed to straddle that tire.  He asked "Didn't you seee it?"  " No honey  I didn't.  It wasn't  visible in my rear view mirror."  I would never be able to do that again  if I tried, I thought.
     Once again we drove back to the front, this time with no stow- aways.  I kissed my husband good bye, still giggling.  He began to laugh again too.  It has been a long time since my husband and I laughed at anything together.  It was a wonderful feeling, and one that was long past due.
     Even as I drove home, I still giggled.  My crazy luck, full of mishaps and disorder was back in order.  I no longer felt like I was on the outside looking in.  I was truly happy!  I was back!



Comments

Popular Posts