Me + He = We

      This past weekend, I cut the grass.  It was in definite need of a good grooming, and I was in definite need of releasing some stress.  It felt great, walking behind the loud roar of the mower, and the scent of freshly cut grass was a sweet treat to my nose.  I enjoyed myself so much that I cut my brothers lawn as well.  I was on a cathartic roll.
     When I was finished, my lawn looked fresher, but I didn't.  I was hot and in need of a tall, cool drink of water.   When I walked into the house, my husband didn't looked pleased.  He asked me "Why did you cut the grass?"  I thought it was a rhetorical question, the reason was...obvious.  He looked at me and I could see he was waiting for an answer.
     "Because it needed to be cut." I said sarcastically, "And, you are complaining about how sore your knee is, I enjoy cutting the grass."  I walked past him, and headed to the kitchen for that drink of cold water  I was in desperate need of.
     As I guzzled my water, I wondered why my husband was so upset with me.  It's not the first time I cut the grass, and I doubted it would be the last.  So why was he so short with me, I asked myself.
     I walked into the living room and drew back my sheers, admiring my front lawn.  It looked better, but my gardens, they were in serious need of weeding and some time we'll spent.  The winter had certainly played havoc with it.  Weeds had already overtaken it, squirrels had rearranged some of my bulbs, and I decided mulch would make it more esthetically pleasing.
     My garden, I realized was, at the moment, like my relationship with my husband.   Both needed some time, and TLC, not to mention a plan for easier maintenance.  My garden, I decided would be easier to work on.
     Since the return from our cruise, my husband and I hit the ground running and haven't really spent any time together since.  We have been like two ships passing in the night, neither one of us taking the time to nurture each others needs, or our relationship.  We have been so busy working, raising young children and performing daily work duties, that we let the most important relationship go.  Ours. Without he or me , there was no we.  Without the two of us working together as one unit, we have managed to concentrate our efforts in different directions.  That has quickly become an exercise in futility.
     We have no gardener, we do all of the digging, and weeding ourselves.   Its hard work, but it's worth the effort, and so are we.


Comments

Popular Posts