Getting Itchy With Roxanne


     This past weekend was busy, but it's always busy.  My granddaughter had a birthday party to attend, plus we had Mother's Day.  It's a day like any other for me.  My daughter bought me a dark blue hydrangea, and my son bought my daughter and myself, each a dozen long stem red roses, which are gracing my mantle right now.  I made ten pounds of potato salad and my son barbecued steaks for all of us.  We invited a young family over for dinner with us.  It was loud with three young children, but it was fun as well.  That's what Mother's Day is all about, getting together to celebrate the wonderful gift of motherhood.  Mother's Day just isn't the same without children!
     Early yesterday, my daughter and her children accompanied me to get some last minute things for dinner.  My grandchildren were chatting away happily in the car, and my daughter was complaining in the front seat that she needed smokes.  I reiterated that she wanted them, but she certainly didn't need them.  She looked at me with a pained expression, and said "I do need them!  I'm getting bitchy!"  My granddaughter, thought she said she was getting "itchy".  Hearing that, made me howl.  My granddaughter went on to say, " Mommy, cigarettes are making you itchy.  If you stop smoking them, you won't be itchy."  Wise words from a wise little girl.
     As we continued with our errands, my daughter changed my radio station.  That, of course, puts me right on the offensive.  Nobody changes the station in my car!  She likes rap, which I call crap, and this modern noise.  I prefer classic rock.  I won.  My car, my music.  My daughter, was getting itchy again, thanks to my choice of music and was very vocal about my taste in music.  She then, went on to do a parody of Roxanne, by the Police.  Part of the chorus of this song goes like this " Roxanne.  You don't have to put on the red light."  My daughter, sang "Roxanne!  You don't need to turn on your headlights!"  Loving the Police as I do, hearing this song, sang in such a way was disparaging to say the least.  But to hear her sing what she thought were the lyrics- well that was funny.  Once again, I howled at my daughter's expense.  Today might be a good day afterall I thought to myself.
     The errands were completed, and we were home.  Potatoes were peeled and boiling, as were the eggs.  The children were outside playing with their mom, and I was sitting in the living room for what I knew would be one of the few times all day.  I reflected on all of the changes we had experienced from this time last year.  I wondered if my life would ever be back to normal.  Time, I knew would tell the tale.
     I heard the back door open, and my granddaughter walked in, with her big eyes, saying "Grandma, mommy is getting itchy again, you better come quick!"  Aah...my few minutes of relaxation were over.  I was back to being busy.  I thought to myself as I walked to the back door, I am blessed.  My family, my whole family lives under the same roof.  We are healthy, we have food to eat and water to drink.  Thank you God.  Thank you that we don't have to turn on our headlights!   



Comments

Popular Posts