Getting My Ducks In A Row

     I was awakened this morning at four fifteen.  My husband came in, and inadvertently woke my grandson.  My grandson wasn't feeling well last night, he had a fever again.
     My husband asked him if he wanted to go downstairs and help him fix the washing machine.  My grandson, gave him an emphatic "No!"  My grandson was whiny and not impressed to be awake.  I, could empathize.   My husband, continued to attempt to convince him to help him, so, my granddaughter hearing all the fuss, came out to investigate.  It was four thirty three!  I knew at this point, there would be no more sleep for me.
     I turned on my grandson's favourite movie, hoping he would settle back down.  He did, until he threw up, on my sectional, the floor and himself.  "Eeww!" My grandaughter said in disgust.  My grandson, was crying, my granddaughter was gagging and I wanted to scream.  I managed to clean him up, as well as the floor and sectional.  At this point, he crawled into bed with his mommy, who was fortunate to still be sleeping.  It was only four fifty five.
   My son got up, dressed and was off to work by six thirty, and my husband went to bed.  I, on the other hand was wide awake and seriously annoyed.
     After making lunch for my granddaughter, and getting her breakfast, I began to put away clean laundry.  My phone rang.  It was my neighbour.  There was a mother duck with eight tiny ducklings stuck in a winow well. My granddaughter and I went over to see if we could help.  There they were, these adorable little ducklings, fluffy and sweet, desperately trying to excape their confines.  Their mama, nervously pacing a safe distance away, crying for her babies.
     I climbed down into the window well and began picking them up one by one.  The mama duck was calling to her babies and they were squawking back.  They were wiggly little cuties.   I freed them and watch them waddle back to their mama
My granddaughter, was gushing about how adorable they were, and asked if we could adopt the whole family.  I explained how wild animals need to stay in the wild.  Besides, we have enough family members living with us at the moment.  They are wild enough for me!   It was seven thirty.
     This morning has been an early, crazy rush of waking too early, puking, and ducklings.  I wonder what the rest of the day will bring.

Me holding one of the ducklings.



Ducklings stuck in the window well.


   

Comments

Popular Posts