When Life Gives You Lemons, Throw Those Suckers!

     Last night my mother-in-law and I were out for a ladies night at one of the hardware stores.  It was a lot of fun.  Just getting out, was great, as was the company.  After the information seminars, we milled around looking at the products, munching on fresh fruit and vegetables, plus we indulged in a little sample of wine.  I loved it.
     I met some friends and acquaintances there, enjoying themselves as well.  One, came up to me and told me how much she loves hearing about my life - what's going on with myself, children, all of it.  I smiled at her, but was wondering to myself Why?  She obviously read my mind, or saw the quizzical look on my face, because she said "I always laugh at all of the problems in your life, it makes mine seem so inconsequential!"  I stared at her, and immediately, my tongue jumped into offensive mode before my brain could tell me Ignore her, she's an ignoramus.  I looked at her with my brightest smile and said "I know what you mean, I can't wait to approach a cancer patient and tell them how amusing their situation is."   After blurting out my rude comment to this woman, she laughed and said "Oh well, you know that old saying, When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and in your case, you should make a lemonade stand and sell it."  I was appalled, partly because of her rudeness, but mostly because I didn't have a scorching rebuttal to immediately throw back at her.
     I walked away, seething.  My night had been wonderful, full of fun, learning, and schmoozing with other ladies, until I ran into one idiot.  I reflected on what she said, that whole When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Lemonade...huh!  I would grab those suckers and start huffing them at all the people who think my life is such a disaster, or joke.  The only lemonade being made would be the juice running down someones face after being hit with these lemons, life has been so kind to give me.
     My mother-in-law was chatting with some ladies, so I continued to walk around to kill time.  I decided to go get another little taste of wine.  As I sipped my tiny sample of sparkling rosè, I heard a voice laughing "You're here drowning your sorrows in wine I see!"  It was the lemon lady!  I turned around to see her laughing with one of her friends.  I calmly replied "Actually, I'm not trying to drown my sorrows, I'm looking for some sparkling wine to add to my lemonade.  I'm thinking about calling it The Sour Bitch, after you!  And, I won't sell it, I'll give it away, so everyone can see how bitter it is...just like you.  Upon hearing that, she walked away in a huff.  I yelled after her "Remember, when life gives you lemons make lemonade!  Oh, and you should sell it too!"  I walked away smiling.
      Life has given me some sour lemons, however, I'm not partial to lemonade, but, there's always wine!

Comments

Popular Posts