Birds of a Feather

     My backyard is very small, however, what it lacks in size it certainly makes up for it in character!
     Some of my friends have very large yards, my friend Shelley has a pool and a hot tub, plus, a firepit to sit by and enjoy. Going to Shelley's is like going on a mini vacation, not to mention, some of the best pyrotechnic displays I have ever seen, courtesy of her eldest son and $1,200!
     My yard is broken up into 2 areas.  An eating area and a conversation area.  My grandchildrens playhouse is tucked in our conversation area as well, and when they are in there playing...what a conversation!
     There are 2 things that surround my yard.  Flowers and bird houses!  I love them both!  I also have 2 birdbaths and lots of bird feeders so they can eat, and I can watch them.
     There is just something about birds that relax me.  They are definitely adorable, the way they fluff their feathers, and just watching them in the bath splashing around puts a  smile on my face.
      I spend a lot of time, and yes money on feeding these birds and they have come to trust me.  They will sit on the branches and flit all around me while I fill up each individual feeder.  There have been a few times my feeders have attracted more than just sparrows and robins, hawks, have on occassion, swooped in looking for some fast food!   It was winter and I was doing my dishes and I saw this very large shadow glide past my kitchen window.  When I looked up, I noticed a hawk in my yard hopping around with his wing sticking out at an awkward angle.  My son was about 15 at the time, sympathized with the injured hawk.  "Awe mom, its hurt".  "No its not"was all I said as I ran outside into the snow with no boots, waving my tea towel at the hawk.  It took off as soon as I began my maniacal ranting and waving and sat in my neighbours tree just watching.  I stood there yelling at it.  "I am feeding these birds!  I'm not putting out a buffet for you!  Get out of here"!  When I went back into the house, feet and pants all covered in snow, my son asked me how I knew that hawk wasn't injured.  I told him that was just a ploy so the birds think the hawk isn't a real threat, if it's hurt, they relax and will not be on such high alert.  Then it goes for the kill!  Not on my watch buster!  I know, I know, nature, the circle of life, blah, blah, blah!  Not in my yard!  It's a sanctuary, not the Serengeti!  
     Last week, I bought some peanuts in the shell for the chipmunks.   Did I mention I love them too!?  It turns out, they were spicy, a fact I would have noticed, had my glasses been worn when I bought them!  I threw them out onto the grass anyway, who knows, maybe they might like a little spice!  It seems they didn't mind at all, but what really surprised me were the birds!
     I had MORE birds in my yard then I had ever had anytime before...because of the spicy peanuts!  I had blue jays, cardinals, a red capped woodpecker, my sparrows, chickadees, cedar waxed wings and starlings!  They were all enjoying these peanuts!   I couldn't believe my eyes!  The starlings must have found them a little spicy, because one flew into my birdbath and dropped the peanut into the water and washed it off!  Smart bird!
     I was thrilled!  My husband laughed and said "They aren't even going for the birdfeed".  So, I have learned a valuable lesson, valuable, because peanuts are cheaper by the pound than birdfeed, and I have attracted a whole new slew of birds!  It was a win, win for the birds and me!
     The birds are happy and definitely chubby, and I have more change in my purse, but most of all, I have a big smile on my face!
     This is my newest birdhouse, nestled in the corner of my yard, courtesy of my friend Char!  Her father made it for me and drove it here all the way from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.  I am so blessed!


My sparrows are now enjoying their new luxury accommodations too.  😊

Comments

Popular Posts