The Great Outdoors?

     Today is Friday, it's hot and I think I want to go camping for the weekend.
     My mother in law has a tent trailer, in fact it's sitting in our driveway.  We used to have one, but alas, it is now in camper heaven.  Our family would go camping when our children were younger, and it was always an adventure.
     My granddaughter has yet to experience  camping, but I think she would have a ball.  I just have to convince my husband that it's a good idea!
     He usually has ideas about what the weekend should entail.   He writes out a list on Friday, a list of what he wants to accomplish by Sunday night.   Lists/scmists...the way I see it, there are only 16 weekends in a Canadian summer, and good weather isn't guaranteed for all of them.  So, we should take advantage of perfect weekend weather, and this weekend promises to be perfect for camping.
     There is nothing like sitting by a fire, snuggling with the ones you love, toasting marshmallows and cooking wieners on a bent coat hanger!  Sleeping in a trailer, listening to the crickets chirping and not the noise of traffic is very appealing.   Waking up to birds singing, and eating cereal out of those tiny square boxes, well there is something very satisfying in doing that!
     We don't attempt to cook bacon and eggs over a campfire anymore, we tried that once.  It seems like a camping rite of passage to cook over an open flame.  It's  not!  I am not sure of the melting point of a Teflon coated frying pan, but it isn't high enough.  The handle, it's an excellent incendiary device.  The bacon and eggs?  Indistinguishable in all that molten Teflon and handle resin.  In an attempt to extinguish the fire, DON'T use a tea towel!  It works like a baffle!  It feeds the fire!  That is why we enjoy cereal for breakfast,  easy, compact but mostly it's not flammable!
     Getting away from it all, communing with nature, no phone, no television, no noise...no indoor plumbing, no air conditioner, no comfy bed, hmmm.  It's 1 night, I'm sure I can survive.  Pioneers lived off of the land, lived in mud shanty's with no indoor plumbing, or air conditioning!
     My granddaughter will enjoy it, well, perhaps walking to the washroom in the dark won't be so great, but its nothing a flashlight won't fix.   Hopefully there will be no spiders in our cubicle.  My granddaughter is more terrified of spiders than I am, and I will have to pretend I am brave.   Of course I won't be, so I can probably squat in the bushes and pee, it will be OK as long as there aren't any critters.
      Who am I kidding?  My love for camping in the great outdoors is over!  I think Howard Johnson was a disillusioned camper and he was probably terrified of spiders too!
     I think if I want to venture into nature, I will just open my door and sit in my backyard watching the birds and chipmunks, sipping a cold drink with my granddaughter splashing in her pool.  My husband will be busy humming as he is accomplishing his list of things to do.
     Like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz,  I will click my flip flops together 3 times and say "There's no place like home"!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts