Candy and a Darth Vader Chauffeur

     Yesterday was Halloween.   My daughter and I took out her children to trick or treat, otherwise known as collecting candy.  My granddaughter, is experienced in this, but my grandson, was new to it.  Upon discovering candy was added to his bag, every time he said "Hi" and looked adorable, he too, enjoyed this sweet walk of knocking on doors.
     It's been over 10 years since I have walked with children to trick or treat.  There is definitely more houses decorated than there ever used to be.  Not just with Jack-o-lanterns,  there are coloured lights, flashing lights, large inflatables to decorate your lawn, projectors in the window, displaying creepy scenes, music, and, ghouls with glowing eyes.
     We saw that and more on our walk last night.  My daughter would walk with her children, to the door, and when it was time to go to a different neighborhood,  I would help buckle them in their car seats.
       As I was waiting, a few teenagers were walking past me, chatting away.  One of them made a comment that I smelled like an old person.  In his defense, a fragrant bouquet of Vicks Vapo Rub, was permeating from me, I had it on my back, chest and under my nose.  They all laughed, and I said "That's not the smell of old, boys, that's the smell of survival!"  One, yelled back "Yea, my 90 year old great grandfather smells like that, he can't walk, and he has no teeth!"  More laughter.   My rebuttal was to croak back "Yes, but he is still alive isn't he?  Hence, the aroma of survival!"  They walked away this time, our banter, forgotten.  My granddaughter asked me who I was yelling at.  "Oh, just some ghouls,  honey."  "Mommy told us not to talk to them grandma, you need to listen! "  After being duly chastised by my 5 year old granddaughter,  I had to agree with her.
     We did the rounds, visiting the great grandparents, a few friends, the fire station and of course some cool houses we saw while enroute.
     One house, was spectacular.   I don't care for Halloween,  celebrating the dead, rising again, does not thrill me.  I much prefer more festive celebrations.  However,  this particular house, wasnt just decorated.   It was pages in a magazine, come to life!  There was a smoke machine, giving off an eerie fog, while you walked under an arch, welcoming you into their lair.   My daughter, walked my granddaughter up through the front yard, to ring their doorbell.   Screams could be heard, from all of their guests, children and parents were running out, onto the sidewalk.   I stayed in the car with my grandson.   By this time,  we had both, had enough Halloween.
     I watched my granddaughter approach the door, I could hear her say trick or treat, and thank you.  They turned around, and then, they too screamed and ran toward the sidewalk.   My granddaughter, climbed into the car with big eyes and said "Grandma, I'm glad you didn't come with us!  There was a giant spider that jumped out at us when we were leaving! "  "Aha."  That's the reason for all of the screaming and running.  Thankfully,  I was safe in my car, listening to my grandson babbling.
     I drove my little sweethearts home with their spoils.  It was 8 o'clock, it was almost time for bed, for them and me!
     My daughter and I checked their candy, and of course they wanted some.  They were allowed 2 candies, then it was time to brush their teeth, say their prayers and climb into bed.  I smiled watching them.  My granddaughter was deciding what to choose,  my grandson, didn't care.  My daughter,  was going to have fun getting them to sleep.
     Kisses and hugs later, I was on my way home.  I remembered Halloween when I was a child.   It was much the same, my dad walked with us, as we paraded around in our costumes.   We enjoyed it, my dad tolerated it for us.  Candy and costumes, who would have thought the two could bring about so many memories?
     I arrived home, I climbed out of the car, as a few kids walked by.  I overheard them say  "Cool sound effect lady, how are you doing that?"  I realized they were referring to my labored breathing.   "Oh!  This is a cold." I said apologizing.   "Too bad, you sound like Darth Vader !"  The one boy said "I wish I had a cold!"  I had to laugh, only a child could see the positive in a cold.  Shaking my head in total agreement,  I said "You're right, be safe."  "Thanks lady, may the force be with you!"  I laughed and chimed back,  "And with you too."
     I changed and got ready for bed.  I rubbed on more Vicks Vapo Rub, and agreed with those kids.  I do sound like Darth Vader!
     I was home, another successful Halloween behind us, and guess what?  Nary a clown was in sight!
     
   


Comments

Popular Posts