Keeping Your Words Sweet

     Sometimes life hits you between the eyes, leaving you lost and breathless.   Life, hit me between my eyes yesterday,  and I was left trying to physically and emotionally recover.
     It's so easy, to look at somebody and base an opinion.  Let's face it, first impressions are all based on appearances.  They are not always real and true, but more emotional than anything.  Regardless, we are all guilty of making snap judgements, perhaps because we don't like someone's personal style, personality or the way they speak.
     I too, have been guilty of judging others before getting all of tge facts, and I have regretted my decision.  Everybody struggles from time to time.  It's inevitable, some, choose to share their troubles, while others choose to remain private.  I know myself, I have secretly struggled with my own personal sorrows and issues.  I haven't shared with a lot of people, but that doesn't make it any less real.  Acquaintances have accused me of being aloof or cold, or both due to private issues I was dealing with at the time.  I used to try and defend myself, attempting to explain that everyone didn't understand what was going on in my life, but in doing so, I ended up drawing more attention to something I didn't want others to be aware of.
     It's important to be kind, even when you think you know what's going on.  You may not always understand the facts, or maybe you have heard a rumour, someone else's version of what they think they know. Remember, everybody is fighting a secret battle that you know nothing about, so be kind, forgive, listen and don't be too quick to judge.
     Sometimes, the kindest thing we can do is to just say nothing, listen and wait for someone to open up to you.  They may decide to tell you, or they may not, but by standing beside them, is supporting them in a quiet, still way.  No advice needs to be given, unless it is asked.  Just quiet, understanding may be the difference that individual needs to trust you.
     Proverbs 18:21 reminds us that "Death and life are in the power of the tongue; and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."
    My grandmother used to say "Be careful the words you say, you never know from day to day which ones you'll have to eat."

 

Comments

Popular Posts