Threading...A New Twist On Being Twisted

     My eyebrows, are fine, and thin, not from over tweezing or waxing, they just are naturally.  I do however,  have a few wayward hairs, growing in awkward locations around my eye.
     I have had my brows waxed in the past, but I don't really care for it.  I find,  after they are finished, my brows never look symmetrical.  When I look at myself, one eyebrow seems to have a shocked look, and the other looks angry.  It's a confusing look, and one I'm not particularly fond of.
     Looking for an alternative,  I Googled How to thread eyebrows.   I watched a few videos,  and read the links on how to do it.  I decided it looked pretty easy.
     Pulling out some thread, scissors and loose powder, I stood in front of my bathroom mirror, twisting and turning the thread like the video instructed.   Every time I closed the 2 threads in a hinged motion, much like the opening and closing motion of scissors, I couldn't seem to grasp any hair.  I could feel the thread rub against my brows, but it wasn't grabbing anything.
     Hmmm, I sat down on the edge of my bathtub and watched the video again.  I stopped it, and twisted the thread again.  I was frustrated, because looking in the mirror, everything was backwards.  This was turning into more of a challenge than I thought.  I was determined at this point to do it, even once.
     Once again,  I twisted the thread, but this time, I closed my eyes so I wouldn't get messed up by the opposite effect in the mirror.   My eyes snapped open rather quickly when I realized the thread had made contact with hair.  "Oh my sweet Jesus!  What was that?"  Whoever said this didn't hurt were liars!  My eyes and nose were watering!  The models on the videos, getting their eyebrows threaded were smiling.  Smiling!  They were obviously dead!  No living person can smile through this experience!  I looked in the mirror and took a look.  "Huuuuh!" I sucked in my breath.  Not only did the thread make contact, it removed about 10 hairs!  "Oh oh!  That's not good."
     I had a little bare spot in the middle of my eyebrow.  "OK,  it's not so bad, I can fix this."  I picked up the string and once more began twisting.  Nothing happened.   "Oh for Pete's sake!"  I said.  I lined up the thread with the hair I wanted to remove, closed my eyes and closed the thread.  "Yeow!"  After my eyes stopped watering, I looked at my handiwork.  This time, my brows had 2 bare spots!  I was making it worse!
     I threw the thread away before I pulled out every hair.  My left eyebrow looked like I had 2 polka dots!  "How am I going to blend that?"  I mumbled to myself.
     I realized I needed to use my tweezers to repair this disaster.   I hate tweezing,  hence the threading, but I hate bald polka dots even more!
     Tweeze, "Owe!"  Pull, "Ooohh!"  Pluck, "Ouch!  These hairs have roots down to my toes!"  Five minutes went by, my nose was running, and I was almost blind.  "Sh*t!  This is not how I wanted to spend my night!  My eyes were beginning to cross, so I put on my glasses.
     After 10 minutes,  I finished tweezing my eyebrow.  I looked at my reflection and wondered if I could get away with not tweezing the other brow.  A resounding no! They looked like a before and after picture!
     Sighing,  I held my breath and pulled, tweezed and plucked my right eyebrow.  By the time I was finished, I had to blow my nose 3 times, wipe my eyes, and my face was a red blotchy mess.
     I had spent 90 minutes, and I had only planned on removing 10 hairs from each brow. Instead, I am sure I only left 10 hairs on each brow.
     I came back out to the living room and held a cold wet face cloth over my face.  That is why, I decided people go to professionals.   Who cares if you look confused on one side, and angry on the other?  It's better than torturing yourself.
     The next time I consider hair removal from my brows, I will remember this experience.   I will recall my bulging eyeballs, runny nose and the pulling...oh the pulling.   Threading and tweezing are thought to be innocuous events.  They aren't!   Hair removal is barbaric and tortuous!
     I have experienced broken bones in my life, laboured with, and delivered 2 babies,  and recovered from 3 heart surgeries.   Hair extraction?  I have decided I am a wimp!


   
   
   

Comments

Popular Posts