Felines And Caffeine

     Last night, I was having a great sleep.  You know the kind, the REM kind we are all supposed to get every night.
     I was in la la land, sleeping soundly...dreaming about cats.  Cute, adorable, cats, playing, jumping, and meowing.  In my dream, they ceased being the fluffy, sweet kittens, and turned into an annoying adult cat that wouldn't be quiet!
     I woke up, realizing I was hearing a cat meow alright.   It was in fact my cat Torro, meowing very loudly,  because he wanted in.  It was 3:06 am.   I walked into my living room, moved the exercise bike over, unlocked the door and opened it.  I expected Torro to come flying in like he usually does, but he didn't.  I stood there, calling his name, still no Torro.  I closed and locked the door, moved the bike back in its place, and walked to the back door.  Again, unlocking the door, and calling "Torro."  No Torro.   It must have really been a  dream I thought.
     I crawled back into bed, fluffed my pillow, pulled up the blankets, kicked out my feet, and closed my eyes.  I was almost asleep, when I heard meowing, once again.  I stood at my open window, calling for Torro.  I could hear him, but I couldn't see him.  "Okay, I'm coming" I said, as I walked that familiar stretch to the living room again.  I moved the bike...again, unlocked the door...again, opened the door...again, and called Torro' s name...again.  Still, no Torro.  Aarrr!  Again, I closed and locked the door, put the bike back in its place, and walked to the back door.  I opened it and looked, no Torro.  I shut the door, disgusted. I was walking up the landing stairs when I heard a definite meow, a terrified meow.  Back down the stairs I went, unlocked and opened the door and there sat my little cat Bella.  "Get in here!" I scolded, she must have crawled out the door, when I was calling for Torro.  Meow, meow, meow, it was her turn to scold me for leaving her outside.   She, never goes outside.
     I couldn't hear Torro anymore, so I climbed back into bed.  Same routine, fluff my pillow, pull up the blankets, kick out my feet, and hear "meow!"  "You have got to be kidding!"   Off went the blankets, and back I went to the living room.  I moved the bike...one more time, I unlocked the door...one more time, I opened up the door...one more time, and there was no Torro...one more time.  "That's it!  I'm not doing this anymore tonight!  You can just stay outside!"  " Meow!"  I pulled my living room curtains opened and I could see Torro sitting on my sidewalk .
     This time, I didn't move the bike, I just leaned it over, unlocked, and opened the front door.  In, ran Torro, a steady stream of meowing at me!  Indignant, that my cat was chastising me for not letting him in earlier, I forgot about the bike, and it fell against my hip, pushing me against the door knob.  "Yeow!!"
     I hobbled back to my bedroom ,  holding both of my hips, grumbling about my damn cat.  My husband said sleepily, "I just heard Torro meow, he sounded hurt."  "Torro! That wasn't  Torro, that was me!  I was in pain!"  My complaints fell on deaf ears, my husband was softly snoring.  "Huh!" I snorted, "You think you hear the cat in pain and you wake up, I inform you it's me, and you can go back to sleep.  What kind of husband are you?"  More snoring.
     It was 3:59 am.  I crawled back into bed, fluffed my pillow, pulled up the blankets, then kicked out my feet.  I think I fell asleep.      Crash, smash!  Off went the blankets, out of bed I jumped, then out to the hallway.  Thanks to the night light in my kitchen, I could see something dark spilled all over my floor, and a coffee mug, laying sideways.  There, laid my husbands coffee, that he just had to have.  I warned him, "Coffee, will keep you awake, don't drink it."  Turns out, he was sleeping like I baby, and that coffee was keeping me awake, thanks to my cat Torro, attempting to jump up on my kitchen window sill, falling, and inadvertently knocking the cup of coffee off of the table and all over my floor.
     After cleaning up the sticky mess, I decided there was no point going back to sleep now,  I was wide awake.  Torro, was now, fast asleep, perched atop my microwave.  "How lovely for you."
     Coffee and cats...responsible for many a sleepless night.  But at the moment, all I wanted was a hot cup of one, and a cuddle with the other.
♡ Torro, sleeping on my microwave. ♡

Comments

Popular Posts