Hero's Hero's everywhere, even in my underwear!

Welcome to Thursday! Yesterday I had a visit with my grandchildren, which is always wonderful to me. My granddaughter  is 4 and just like sunshine, bright, warm and cozy. She always asks me to let her wear my lipstick because she knows I am the lipstick  queen. I of course open up my purse and haul it out, take the lid off and hand her the gold tube of Pink Mica lipstick. As only a young child can, she painstakingly applies it to her open mouth. She finishes and gives me a dazzling smile with lipstick smeared a little outside her lip line.  She throws her arms around my neck and says "I love you grandma! You are my hero!"  Wow, I have heard those sweet words of love from my granddaughter but the part of being her hero took me quite by surprise.      A hero? A hero is defined many ways, it can be the main character in a novel or movie, a sandwich (I am sure she didn't mean this type of hero!), or someone doing something extraordinary or brave for someone else's behalf with no concern for their own well being.  When I think of hero's,  I think of the latter definition. The soldiers in war, firefighters, people throwing themselves onto the subway to rescue a fallen passenger.  So many exemplary people to be called a hero.              Yes I have helped people in my life, whether lending money, making dinner for bereaved friends, buying groceries for people in need, common kindness type deeds.                                                                      Hero's are brave, thoughtless individuals who do amazing things in stressful situations. I have not done any of those things.                                                                     I tried to explain to my granddaughter what real hero's are and gave her examples to help her comprehend, so I asked her if she understood. She smiled at me with her lipstick grin and she said "Yes grandma I understand, you ARE a hero because you love me, and play with me and you share your lipstick!" Off she ran singing and dancing in her childhood innocence totally sincere in her proclamation.                              I am not a firefighter, soldier or a woman who has risked her life to save someone's life, but, I am a grandma that plays, loves my family and friends and shares my lipstick with my granddaughter. Apparently, I rock! Enjoy your day.

Comments

Popular Posts