Living in Our Wake

     My granddaughter was over last night and after playing outside all day, she wanted to relax on grandma's sofa and just watch a video.  YouTube, on occasion, requires you to watch a 30 second ad before your video begins. Tonight, the ad was about boat safety.  To make a long story short, it was a reminder to boaters to be cautious and safe while operating their boat.  It warned of the dangers of wakes.  My granddaughter turned up her nose and said "Wake! What's a wake"?  I began to explain to her how a wake is produced in the water from a boat.  I could see she really didn't understand.  Thankfully, through the wonder of the Internet, I showed her a video of a boat creating wakes and why they are so dangerous.  We actually saw a boat capsize in the water after being caught up in one.  Needless to say, she understood after seeing it.   Content in her knowledge she wanted to go back to her own video.   I thought about that video and the danger a wake represents.  Of course, me, being me, my mind began churning in so many directions!  Sometimes, I think I may actually be a danger to myself with so many thoughts prattling around inside my head.   Back to the wakes, theoretically, they are produced when water gets displaced by something heavy, at a higher velocity than the water is flowing (my unscientific explanation), whether from  falling into the water like a rock, or by cutting through the water like a boat.  The force of either creates a ripple if small or wake if powerful enough.  Perhaps, land wakes can be produced too.  Our western world is so concerned about the environment, and rightfully so.  With all the discussions about stopping or reducing our carbon footprint for the next generations.  I am all for it.  Indulge me if you will, to think about another type of footprint.  A land wake!  Remember, you are still indulging me my thought...the actions we, as people in our community, do on a daily basis can affect another person or even a group of people.  I have dubbed it,  A Land Wake.  Being inconsiderate, unkind, and selfish, all of these cause a land wake!  They produce sadness, resentment,  and possibly depression, all of which conspire to capsize others emotionally.  Acts of kindness, sharing, uplifting words of encouragement will prevent these land wakes, smooth the emotions, producing peace and happiness.   So, beware of your actions, stop before you do or say something.  Ask yourself "Will I cause someone to emotionally capsize by my actions"?  It was called the Golden Rule for a reason!  There are no signs, of warning, just your concious effort to be a better human being.  So, make your environment a good one to be in and remember, be careful not to produce wakes!

Comments

Popular Posts