Weedless Wednesday and Dandelion Wishes

    Oh spring; cool mornings, new grass, spring bulbs emerging from the ground and dandelions!  Yes those little robust weeds that are drought resident, and water resistant. They are like the cockroach I suspect, in the way that they would survive a nuclear holocaust and continue to stretch their little heads up to cease the day.  My lawn seems to be full of them, and they are thriving in between my patio stones. I have attempted to dig them out, spray herbicide on them (I know, I know for all of the environmentalists), I have even poured boiling salted vinegar on them. Almost killed me from the vapors but alas, they are doing dandy, hence their name no doubt. I recall childhood games with dandelions. Grabbing one and singing "Mama had a baby and it's head popped off" as we took the flower off with our thumbs. Little ghouls we were!  Or, rubbing the yellow flower under our friends chin. If there was yellow powder stuck there they liked butter! Thinking about it now who doesn't love butter? But the best one was pulling the weed stem after it had gone to seed. When it was white and fluffy, just waiting for a breeze to send their tiny seeds throughout the neighborhood.  Children helped them along! We would close our eyes and make a wish then blow their little fluffy head into the universe along with our wish. I think I know now why my wishes never came true...they were firmly planted in my neighbors lawn! Speed ahead 45 years. The thought of one of these being blown almost gives me a stroke! They aren't that sweet, innocent flower from my childhood any longer. They are the enemy!  I need to destroy them.  I go to my trusty garage and begin to arm myself.  Dandelion puller, hoe, pail, and my gloves.  Off I go, weapons in hand walking purposefully to the killing fields.  I crouch down, dandelion puller in hand and begin to carefully pull one out.  I can feel the resistance but I continue.  Victory, I have victory!  I look around to share this with someone, anyone.  Nobody is around. I look around and realize it's going to be a long afternoon.  I continue for what seems like hours.  15 minutes?  Seriously?  I am parched so I go grab some water.  I catch my reflection going by.  I have dirt and grass stains smeared on my face.  I look frightening...I look like a warrior!  That is exactly what I am, instead of collecting scalps I am collecting weeds.  Out I go with a renewed vigor.  These annoying little yellow weeds won't beat me!  Not today for I am the caregiver of the lawn!  I continue, toiling in the sun.  My back and knees aching, my hands tensing up all the while my pail grows heavier with the weight of the dandelions.  I look around, then around again.  I see no more in my front lawn. "Victory is mine I scream" in my head anyway.  I pack the pail into my SUV and off to the city depot to drop them off.  I pull in and see a line of vehicles dropping off grass clippings, branches and of course weeds.  I get out and open my trunk as I pull out the pail with the offensive yellow flowers.  I see a man across from me dumping a box of dandelions  as well.  We lock eyes and nod at one another as only one warrior can to another, safe in our knowledge that we have won this battle.  Back in my vehicle, I wait in line with all the other warriors.  Not bareback on our stallions but buckled safely in our car but proud just the same!  I wait for my turn to escape this weed graveyard and then I see them.  One at first, then a few more until there are hundreds!  Dandelion puffs, floating through the air! I make a wish, childhood dreams die hard with me.  I wish these seeds won't find their way to my front yard!  I sigh, remembering how successful my dandelion wishes have been in the past.  Maybe just this time...time will tell. Until then I will wait...and wish.

Comments

Popular Posts