Sleep, Wonderful Sleep

    Awe sleep, that quiet and tranquil time when your body and mind rejuvenate before facing yet another day.  Last night as I crawled into bed I was exhausted.  I had my 15 month old grandson here for most of the day.  He is BUSY!  Consequently, so am I.  I love his curiosity and his capacity for learning, and loving.  Normally he hates being in his playpen.  I only put him in there when he is sleeping; works best for both of us that way.  Yesterday he saw my cat Torro sleeping in it so of course he thought he should join him.  I lifted this very enthusiastic toddler into his usual jail cell and he was clearly excited.  Clapping his hands and cuddling right into my cat.  Torro opened his eyes for the briefest of moments and closed them again when he realized he was going to be loved.  My grandson has been learning about touching nicely.  Last month he would open his chubby little hand a quickly stroke your face or arm soft and sweet, and then pinch you, brutally.  That was not a pleasant lesson for any of us, but he did learn, directly after his 4 year old sister pinched him back on his face, after attacking her.  Oh my, he learned!  So, as he was in the playpen cuddling my cat and petting him, I continued to remind him "touch nice."  He was wonderful and he continued to lay in there petting him for 10 minutes.  Torro, deciding he had been loved enough, jumped out of the playpen.  Well, mayhem wasn't far behind!  Immediately my grandson stood up and attempted to climb out of his chamber of woe.  I couldn't get him out soon enough!  After rescuing my little boy he began to rub his eyes.  He of course was sleepy and need of a nap.  I was in need of a nap!  We travelled from my living room, to the kitchen, from there to my bedroom and finally the toy room...about 10,000 times!  No wonder he was tired.  So, a change of diaper later, he was in my bed, sandwiched cozily in between my husband who was snoring softly (he works nights) and myself.  Normally, if I were to lay him on my bed he would start to cry and wiggle his chubby little body off the bed.  After all,  who wants to be in a bed when there are cupboards to explore and cats to chase!  Not today.  No, today he was very content to be in my bed in between Papa and grandma.  He looked at me, closed his eyes and fell asleep!  After barricading him in safely, I tiptoed out to the hall.  From this vantage point I could see the kitchen, living room and toy room.   I wasn't sure if I should declare a State of Emergency or just get a bulldozer to clean everything up.  Toddlers are messy!  Trucks, cars, animals, balls and little people were everywhere!  I grabbed a laundry basket and just piled everything in there.  Temporarily anyway.  I sat for the first time all day and enjoyed a cup of tea, deciding that although I love and enjoy my grand children, I am grateful to my daughter for being a wonderful mom and raising them.  Children are busy and require energy.  I burn out after about 6 hours!  I can hear stirring in the bedroom, I peak around the corner in time to see my little sweetheart sitting up, smiling at me.  He looks at papa and sees some bare toes.  Aha, an adventure for sure.  A chorus of "Tickle, tickle, tickle" followed by giggling.  What a way to wake up.  So, sleep, that wonderful state, between conquering grandma's house and tickling papa's toes.  It's a beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular Posts