Would You Like Fries With That?

     Last night I wanted something cold to drink.  I drink water all day so I wanted to try something different.  I was close to our neighborhood Timmies  so I popped in there.  I enjoy their frozen Raspberry Lemonade, and on a warm night this would be refreshing and satisfy my desire for something different.  As I waited in line, there were 2 older ladies in front of me perusing the menu.  The server asked them what they wanted and the 2 ladies said they weren't sure yet.  They told the server to take my order while they were making their decision.  My order being placed and being made I continued to observe the 2 ladies struggle with their decision.  Frozen Lemonade in hand I turned to walk away when one of the ladies asked me what I had.  I told her and she made a funny face and shook her head stating she didn't want any kind of slushy style drink.  The server asked them if they were ready but, the ladies were still undecided.  I stood there for a moment, amused, overhearing one of the 2 ladies saying "In my day we had malts, fountain drinks or milkshakes to chose from."  "Or tea and coffee" her friend pointed out.  By this time the server was clearly annoyed.  Seeing both sides, I could understand the servers impatience.  I am sure she had other things she should be doing other than standing there waiting for people to make a decision.  On the other hand, I could see the 2 ladies dilemma as well.  They didn't know what most of the drinks were on the menu.  I decided I could be of some assistance in helping the ladies decide.  I walked back towards them and said "I see you 2 are having a hard time chosing a beverage.  Maybe I can help you."  After establishing they wanted something cold to drink I helped them make sense of the names.  "What is a Maple Chill?"  " I believe it is a frozen style maple flavored drink and then there is the Maple Chill Icecap."  I was answered with "What is an Icecap?"  Oh my I thought.  The server was impatiently shifting her weight from one foot to the other and rolling her eyes.  I smiled and told her to do what she needed to do and when the ladies were in fact ready I would call her.  So, painstakingly I explained the difference between icecaps and iced coffee.  The idea of cold coffee didn't appeal to either lady so we went onto the juices, pops, and iced teas.  Both ladies decided on the peach drink.  Happy to oblige I called the server back while the ladies ordered their drinks.  When did we as a society turn into such hard to please people that we require so many choices of 1 thing?  It's great to have a choice sure, but not when someone becomes stressed out over making a choice in 30 seconds because people are impatiently waiting in line behind them.  Too many choices makes us undecisive and unconfident in our decision making.  True, we enjoy a democracy to chose as we like but put in situations where so many choices are in front of us with a limited time to choose because people are waiting, hearing perhaps in our head "Come on now, chop chop."  We live in a fast paced life and go to fast food restaurants where we give our order, eat it and go.  We have lost the luxury of taking our time, enjoying ourselves and business has lost their come in and relax atmosphere.  They have rows to stand in for heavens sake.  They expect expedient decision-making with expedient service.  That being said, I too was contributing to the establishment simply by being there.  Baby steps I guess.  Hey, I just wanted something cold to drink!  As I was walking out the door I heard one of the ladies say "I want a donut too.  Now what kind do I want?"  With that I threw my head back, laughed and walked out.

Comments

Popular Posts