Where Does A Mother Go To Resign?

     Being a mother is a thankless job.  It is, it isn't a profession, there's no gold watch after forty years, there's no retirement, there's no pat on the back, or medals for a job well done.
     No, being a mother is insanity, humour, love, compassion, forgiveness, and pure grit.  It's about never giving up on your children, or trying to parent them.
     My son said mum mum, when he was five and a half months old, and he thrust his arms out towards me.  As a new mother, it was a milestone that melted my heart and was tucked lovingly into my memory album, deep inside my heart.  As children do, he grew, and hearing mom, didn't always bring joy.  No, sometimes I would cringe amd think to myself "Oh, oh, what now?"  That's part of the evolution of being a parent.   Hopefully they grow up, to be mature, and become wise and productive adults.
     However, not every child grows up to be a responsible and productive member of society.  Mental health issues or selfishness can prevent emotional growth.  Parenting such a child is mentally and physically exhausting.  I speak from experience when I say, being a mom to such a young adult is very trying.  My husband and I have learned that sometimes you just need to laugh in spite of everything, if not, you will crumble.  At that point, you just need to give it to God.
     Over the weekend, I spoke to a mother who is going through a very difficult time with her twenty year old daughter.  Poor choices, over and over again has put a wedge between her and her family.  I could certainly commiserate with her.  All I could do was listen, shake my head, and acknowledge her frustration.  Unfortunately, there are more parents going through this pain than anyone knows about.  It's real, horrible and all consuming when you are going through it.  You feel as if you are running after your child to save them from running into oncoming traffic, but you never reach them.  It's never ending as well as terrifying.  You will both get through this "L" .  She will get through this too!  Hopefully sooner than later.
     Many times I have asked where does a mother go to resign?  The answer, nowhere.  Once a mother, you will always be a mother until you are no longer drawing breath.
     Being a mom has brought me my greatest joy and greatest heartache.  It's the nature of the job.  We bring life into the world, raise them and then let them go.  We pray they make wise choices and continue to grow as a human being.  Part of being a human being is making mistakes, and forgiving.
     As parents, we love our children, we remember their sweet innocent face, their giggle, and their hugs.  If you think being a mother will be full of atta girl's and adoration, think again.  Maybe, just maybe, if you are fortunate,  you will witness the birth of a beautiful, bouncing adult.





   

Comments

Popular Posts