Bye Bye Miss American Pie

     My friend Susan died last night.  Her brother called me this morning with the sad news.  I just sat there stunned, as I listened to him tell me what happened.  I can't even express how shocked and truly saddened I am to hear this.
     Susan, was one of those rare people who come into your life with an explosion of life!   Her personality was infectious, with her sense of fun, and that naughty twinkle in her eyes that always kept you wondering what she was up to.   Her smile, her laugh and her gorgeous blue eyes, reflected the fireworks she was.  Like  fireworks, she was bright, beautiful, and fun, with the most explosive personality I have ever seen.  Unfortunately, Susan was just like fireworks that light up the night sky, beautiful, bright and bold, she was exciting, and so much fun to be around, but like fireworks, she could only stay for such a short time and then she was gone.  Nobody could be in a bad mood with Susan around.  It was physically impossible.
     Susan loved everyone, and all animals, she never had an unkind word about anyone.  She suffered terribly through the years with leukemia.   She spent months on end in the hospital, trying to strengthen her body.  She hated being there, but while she was, she befriended anyone and everyone.  They all loved Susan.  Doctors, nurses, patients, custodians, anyone who met her, fell in love with her easy charm and her love of fun.
     Susan loved karaoke, Euchre, games of all kinds and her family and friends, and fun.  Whether it was  Halloween, Christmas, New Years, Easter, Valentines Day, or St Patrick's Day, you could always count on Susan to dress up for the occasion.  That was her, fun-on-call!
     She desperately wanted to go home, after months in the hospital, and finally, she made it back home with her beloved cat Spook.  Although she was only 53, her body had been through so much physically, she was more like a woman in her mid eighties.  Late yesterday afternoon, around 5:30 pm, my dear Susan passed away.
     All I can think of is the song American Pie, by Don McLean, Susan loved this song, and she would sing it for karaoke.  The last few stanzas in the song keep playing in my mind-

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play
And in the streets the children screamed
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken

And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

And they were singing
Bye, bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin this'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

I feel the fun died yesterday with Susan, and I fear if it will never come back.




My beautiful friend Susan 

Comments

Popular Posts