🎄Pinecone Piñatas 🎄

     While babysitting my grandson today, I was busy doing some cleaning.  I gave him a rag so he could follow behind me helping me clean.    He was enjoying himself, helping me clean and dust, when one of my large pinecones fell off of my mantle.  He stopped, opened his mouth and said "Oh oh!" and picked it up.  I put my hand out for him to give it to me, but instead he thrust it behind his back.  I decided he couldn't hurt it, so I continued on with my chores.
     I continued to look on him every minute or so and he was turning the pine cone over in his hands.  He was experiencing the texture of the pinecone, in his little fingers.  Back to work I went, and as I popped my head back in, he was putting his sister's Shopkins toys in between the gaps of the pinecone.  He was concentrating on filling each and every gap with these tiny little toys.
     I finished the bathroom and checked on him again.  This time, the pinecone was filled up with about twenty colourful, tiny toys, and propped in my Christmas tree.  My grandson was standing there looking at his creation, laughing and clapping his hands.  He was very proud of his artistic endeavors.  I was very hesitant in his sculpture placement.  It was a catastrophe looming on the horizon.
     I pulled out a little mini Christmas tree that I had picked up from a dollar store a few years ago.  I opened up all of the miniature tree ornaments and placed one on the tree.  Seeing this, my grandson wanted to take over.
     Content in my grandson remaining occupied for the next few minutes, I ran downstairs and retrieved the clothes from the dryer.  When I opened up the door, my grandson had put all of the miniature tree ornaments on the pinecone.  The pinecone, was back in my Christmas tree.  Oh my, I
thought, this is going to be a challenge.
     I told him he couldn't put the pinecone in grandma's tree.  As lovely as it was, I knew things would get knocked off or the whole tree would be pulled over.  I have experienced that with my cats before.
     I needed to be creative.  I grabbed the little Christmas tree and told my grandson it was his.  Then, I pointed at the large tree and said "Grandma's tree."  I then carefully tucked the very decorated pinecone carefully into his little tree.  I managed to hook it on to the tree without it falling over.  My grandson seemed okay with this.  He smiled and clapped his hands.  "Yea! A small step for pinecones, and a giant leap for Christmas trees!"  I continued with my cleaning and tidying.
     As I was putting clothes away, I could hear banging.  Bang, bang, bang.  I ran out in time to see my grandson smashing the pinecone, still attached to the miniature tree with the television remote.  He was enjoying himself immensely.  I ran over to him and cried "Stop" just as the pinecone disintegrated, and miniature ornaments and Shopkins toys had littered my living room floor.   My grandson was jumping up and down, clapping his hands yelling "Yahoo!"  He started to pick up all the tiny ornaments and toys and he placed them on the end table.  He then tried to pull down another of my pine cones from the mantle, no doubt to make another pinecone piñata.       I was not as keen on the idea.  For one, he made a huge mess, with shards of pinecones all over my living room, plus I really like my large pinecones and I didn't want to see them smashed.
     My grandson was not at all pleased with me, and he let me know.  However, he picked up his tiny treasures and began to decorate the miniature Christmas tree afterall.  I hid the remote, just in case he wished to reenact the piñata scenario.
     I finished my tidying, my grandson's tree, was a masterpiece, and it was time for a break.  Tea for me, milk and an apple for him.
     My house is very festive, and my living room is dusted with pinecones, and Christmas ornaments.  It's never looked more beautiful!




Comments

Popular Posts