Snow Angels

     Oh the snow, that white magical powder that covers the ground with a magical blanket of sparkling beauty.  Yea right, it's frozen water that wreaks havoc with everything.
     This morning, my granddaughter's school bus was cancelled due to snow.  The school board will cancel the bus route for any little thing.  We live in Canada, it snows!       So, I told her I would drive her to school.  I bundled her up in her snow pants, coat, boots, mittens and hat, as well as her little brother.  I was carrying my purse, her backpack, and a bag of non perishable food items and some new toys for Christmas hampers.  My arms were full.  I opened the door, and stepped out into the yard and splat.  Down I went, face down in eight inches of snow.  My purse went flying, the backpack went flying, and the bag of non perishable food and toys dropped with a thud.   I lifted my head up out of the snow, and tried to brush my face clean of all the offending white powder.  I could hear my granddaughter behind me laughing, saying "Grandma!  Are you making  a snow angel?  Silly grandma, you have to lay on your back, not your front, and you have to wave your arms and legs for the dress and wings."  I was about to roll over to tell her I was aware of how to make a snow angel when I felt twenty eight pounds of toddler jump on my back, yelling "Giddy up!"  My grandson decided I looked like a lot of fun outside, flat on my face, rear end, looking like a saddle.  My granddaughter, not wishing to miss any fun jumped on too.  "Yehaw!"
     There I laid, with an additional sixty two pounds on my back, jumping up and down, giggling.  I decided I would probably laugh later, but not then.  I managed to roll over enough to ease my excited burdens off of me and onto my patio.  They rolled off, and threw snow in my face, just as I was pushing myself up.  My face hasn't felt this tingly since my face serum fiasco.
     I managed to stand up, and brush myself off.  My grandchildren, we're far more thrilled with the snow than I.
     I had to find my purse, and pick up the backpack.  I found my purse, but my keys were MIA.  I looked all over but couldn't find them anywhere.  I was going nowhere without them.  My granddaughter picked up her backpack, and I grabbed the bag of food, but all of a sudden I heard loud, blaring honking.  My grandson found them and had pushed the panic button on my keys.  When he heard the honking, he was terrified, so he dropped the keys and came running over to me.
     I soothed him, picked up my keys, and waded through the snow on my driveway to unlock my car and put the kids in their car seats.  I had snow all over me and I still had to clean off the car.  After buckling the kids in, I realized I had no snow brush for my car.  I improvised and used my arms to clear the windows of snow.   Five minutes later, my car was cleaned off, and we were on our way to school.
     My granddaughter was chatting away happy about all of the snow, and how she couldn't wait to play in it.  I smiled at her and told her I was happy for her.  I, on the other hand, was not nearly as jovial about playing in the snow.  I imagine my love for the snow ended when I was about thirteen years old.
     After arriving at school, we watched cars slip and slide in the parking lot, and parents, slipping and sliding on the sidewalk.  The parents all had a look on their face like they had been pinched, all of the children were bouncing around, like little banshees.  I had to laugh at the contradiction.
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
And the snow is not delightful.
I've got so many places to go,
Stop the snow, stop the snow, stop the snow...





Comments

Popular Posts