Brake...ing For Coffee

     I love the smell of coffee in the morning.  Its rich, heady aroma says good morning, it's time to wake up.  This morning, after taking my granddaughter to school, I just wanted to sit, and enjoy a nice cup of hot, delicious coffee before beginning my day.
     My husband and son, like their coffee.  Like, is an understatement.  They drink so much coffee, I often wonder if it is coffee, not blood that pumps through their veins.  There were no more K cups left, because of their insatiable need for coffee, so instant would have to suffice this morning.  I boiled the kettle, and poured the steaming water into my cup.  Instant or not, it still filled my little kitchen with its inviting scent.  I added my teaspoon of sugar and poured in my cream.  I need some cream in my coffee.  Unlike the men in my home, I cannot drink coffee black.  So, this morning, when I poured the cream in the cup and saw it plop out, not pour out, I felt my breath catch in the back of my throat.  Oh no, the cream had soured!
     I quickly opened up my fridge to see if I had another container.  Thinking I had used an old one, I assumed I had another carton of cream hiding behind the pickles on the shelf.  I did not.  Aaaaahhhhh!  Not only, did I have no cream, I had no milk either.  Well, I did have a container of strawberry flavoured milk for my grandchildren, but the thought of that in my coffee gagged me even more.  A trip to the store was eminent.
     Off I went, to the grocery store.  I picked up oranges, a package of wieners, because they are gourmet fare according to my granddaughter, milk, more coffee, cereal, some fruit, plus the cream for my coffee.  Time was ticking on, it was already 10 o'clock, and I had so much to do today.  I decided, a trip to Tim Horton's was in order. 
     I placed my order, and paid for it.  I opened my car door, and I could smell its rich aroma, beckoning to me.  I couldn't wait to take a long drink of this delicious brew.  It had been a long wait.  I opened up the tab, put it back in the cup holder as I backed my car out of the parking space.  There wasn't a lot of traffic on the street, so it wasn't a long wait getting out of the parking lot. 
     The cup was really full, and I could notice it sloshing in the cup holder.  Yikes, this stuff is gold!  I cant afford it to spill all over the console of my car, not to mention the mess.  I picked up the cup and held in my hand, that way it was no longer splashing all over.  I couldn't wait to taste the creamy, sweet, rich cup of Joe I had waited all morning to drink.
     I was almost home, driving past the high school, just two blocks from my house, my mouth was watering in anticipation.  I felt like Homer Simpson, but instead of donuts, I was saying coffee. 
     I could see him out of the corner of my eye.  He was skateboarding on the street that runs perpendicular to the street I was driving on.  He was supposed to STOP!  That's what the red sign says, STOP!  In bold black lettering, warning drivers, pedestrians, and yes even stupid, careless teenagers on skateboards.  Did he?  No!  He just kept on charging his skateboard right out in front of me.  For a split second, I looked at my coffee, and then I slammed on my brakes. 
     The kid, he continued on his way, never even looking back, no care in the world.  Me, I didn't hit him, he was okay, I was okay, my car was okay.  My coffee, however seemed to be the only casualty.  My coffee, was all over me, my blouse, my coat, my pants, my seat belt, and yes, finally my console.  By this time, I was almost home.  I pulled into my driveway, undid my seatbelt, and slid out of the car.  My car, smelled like coffee, my coat smelled like coffee, and my blouse smelled like coffee.  My breath, did not. 
     I was totally exasperated.  I unloaded the car of groceries, and put them away.  I had to peel my blouse off of me, as well as my pants, and change my bra.  I soaked my blouse, I have no idea if the stain will even come out.  Ten minutes later, I was boiling the kettle again.  I looked at the clock.  It was almost 11 o'clock, and I was no further ahead than I was at 9 o'clock!  I hadn't accomplished anything, now I had more work to do, plus wash out the inside of my car.  I was hoping this was not a harbinger of things to come.
     I finally sat down with my hot cup of luscious coffee, wearing a different bra, shirt and pants.  I took a sip of my coffee.  Somehow, it didn't taste the way I thought it would.



Comments

Popular Posts