Words Beginning With "PH"

     I am guilty.   Guilty of uttering, colourful, glib, comments to people, things, or even situations.  I don't mean to be offensive, I don't try to hurt anyone by vocalizing the way I do, but sometimes, I do.  So, I have recently been told.
     I have been me for fifty two years, it's rather difficult to change now, but I am trying to make a concious effort not to offend anyone.
     I do wonder however, why calling someone phat, is preforable to fat.  How is putting a "PH" in place of a "F" considered acceptable?  I don't recall learning this phonics rule in school!
     I call people, things, and difficult situations a fag.  I know, I know, the word fag, denotes a fear or dislike of homosexuals, which is absurd and absolutely wrong, being as I have a gay friend.  He knows that I don't mean any harm.  I have used this word for more than thirty years.  After reading the novel, Great Jones Street, and reading how Don DeLillo used the word fag in his book, it amused me.  That is it, that's all.  There is no bias against a group of people.
     So, if fat can become phat, and be unoffensive as well as acceptable, then I am going to change my word too.  Fag, will be now and forever phag!  Hey, if Kimora Lee Simmons can call a multi million dollar fashion and fragrance by Baby Phat, and be hailed a designer and parfumista, then by the same logic, I am an interpreter or at least an adapter!
      Why are people of black decent allowed to call each other the "N" word?  That is a particularly offensive and disrespectfull word for anyone to use...ever.  That being said, they use it to call their friends, and,
in song lyrics.  I just don't understand why or when such a word is okay.
     At the beginning of the last century, calling someone crazy was considered offensive and rude.  Now, we hear that term everyday.
     I think the context a word is used has a bearing on how it's meant.  Teasing, rude, or just from simple ignorance.
     When I was a young child, around five, my parents hosted Christmas for my grandma, and aunts, uncles and cousins.  Our house was very full.  We had just sat down to eat dinner, and my middle brother was bugging me, as per usual.  I had had enough, so, I blurted out my frustration very loudly.  After I did, the fifty people sitting down became very quiet.  I learned that day that virgin does not mean angel.  It seems, I had heard through the whole Christmas season about the Virgin Mary, and being as she was the Lord's mother, I in my youth and innocence thought virgin meant angel.  When my brother was antagonising me, I yelled out in front of everyone, "Stop!  What do you think you are?  A virgin?"  I found a very effective way to hush a crowd that day.
      The point is, I never meant to be rude, hurtful or even saucy.  I was ignorant of the meaning of a word.
     I believe people today get upset too easily, and over nothing.  If I hear something I don't like, then I walk away.  Even in my own house, I have had to walk away because others that live with me don't share my opinions or values.  That is maturity.
     If you are ever in my presence, and I call you something you think is offensive, just know it begins with a "PH" and I mean no malice,



Comments

Popular Posts