Mr Christie Is A Genius!

     Today is a Professional Development day for local schools, so consequently, my granddaughter has the day off.
      To celebrate her day off, and our need for cookies, we decided peanut butter chocolate chip cookies would be a fun activity for us.  Baking with a five year old is fun.  Baking with an almost two year old is....challenging.
     I gathered all of the ingredients on the table, my grandson stood on one chair, and my granddaughter on another.  Santa had given them little whisks and spatulas for Christmas, so they were clutched in each one of their little hands.
     Cookie making isn't usually that time consuming for me, except for today.  Today, I felt like I was moving in water, backwards. Each child, wanted to be a part of each step.  Measuring the flour was interesting.  The recipe called for two cups, the measuring cup saw about half of what it needed.  My table, chairs, and floor, on the other hand, saw plenty.  My grandson's pants were floured rather nicely as well.  He was too busy trying to brush off all of the flour with his whisk, to notice we were mixing in more dry ingredients.
     Next, we added some white sugar.  My granddaughter had her hand over mine while I was pouring it into the mixing bowl.  My grandson, realizing he was missing out on this part, pushed my hand.  Sugar went flying.  My granddaughter, curled up her nose and yelled his name, chastising him for making a mess.   His response was to say "Oh oh!"  He tried valiantly to rid my table of sugar.  He did, all over my floor.
     My floor was a mess of flour and sugar, my table was a mess, as well as my nerves.  Oh my, this was way more of a challenge than I anticipated.  I decided to regroup and give each child their own job.
     I pulled the eggs out of the fridge, and I said each child could help me crack the eggs.  Two went fine, but the last one, I swear was made of cement.  It wouldn't crack!  I hit it against the bowl harder, and still nothing.  Okay, I thought, I'll just grab a new one.  As I turned and opened the fridge, my grandson picked up the egg of stone, and threw it.  By this time, it didn't crack, it broke, all over my cupboard, dripping down to the floor.  Aaaahhh!
 More "Oh oh!" from my grandson.  This was quickly becoming a lesson in patience.
     By this point, I sat my grandson down and told him not to move.  He sat down, with a big lip and began to cry.  I felt like doing the same thing.  My granddaughter and I finished mixing the cookies and spooned the first bit onto the cookie sheet.   I set the timer, then put the kids into the living room while I swept up the mess under the table, then picked up the broken eggs.  I cleaned up the mess in time for the first batch to come out.
      Even after everything, we made some good cookies.   My granddaughter told me they were yummy and my grandson said "mmmm!"  I guess he agreed.
     Cookie making has never been so creative or messy for me.  My kitchen floor is shining, as are my cupboards.   My grandchildren's tummies are full, and my cookie tin.
     Mr  Christie is looking better than ever!





Comments

Popular Posts