Brothers And Sisters

     Brothers and sisters, a very interesting dynamic in a family.
      I have three brothers, two older, and one twin.  All three of them are completely different.  My oldest brother is almost eight years older than I, so we weren't close growing up, or now sadly.  However, he was my protector growing up.  My middle brother, is three years older than I, and he was the pain in my proverbial side growing up.  He knew how to drive me crazy, and I was foolish enough to let him.  My twin, is thirty minutes older than I.  We were always close growing up, and we still are now.  We have had our fights then and now, but we know we love one another.  I love all of my brothers, that will never change.   Even though my oldest brother wants no communication with my twin brother or me, doesn't change how I feel about him.
     My own children are only seventeen months apart.   They were always together when they were little, and they got into trouble...a lot.   During their teenage years, they still got into trouble together!  Now, at twenty five and twenty four, they have matured and they don't get into trouble...at least not together!  They could fight like cats and dogs, and hate each other, but if someone else was unkind to the other, look out.  It was all out war.  I think most siblings are like that, they can thump the ever loving stuffing out of each other, but no one else can.  That's the wonder of family.
     My grandchildren, are no different.   My granddaughter is a thinker.  She plans things out, and carefully executes them into fruition.   My grandson, not yet two, is still very young.  He doesn't plan anything out at this point.  He jumps in with both feet, literally.
     Being as my granddaughter is still recovering from hand, foot and mouth, she is at home.  This morning, she planned out, and created a very intricate doll and stuffie house in my living room.  She used pillows, a little plastic drawer she uses for her hair accessories, part of my sectional, and the ottoman from my husband's leather chair.   The house had three rooms, including a kitchen with a fridge.  It took her thirty minutes to build it.  She was very pleased with herself.
     My grandson, seeing all of the pillows stacked up, took it as a personal challenge to destroy it.  Destroy it, he did.  He was jumping and laughing maniacally, while my granddaughter was jumping up and down, crying hysterically.  It was a display of polars, a real sh*t show!
     I had to pick up a rambunctious toddler, squirming as I did, and try to soothe a broken hearted little girl and assure her we could rebuild...even better than before.  By this time, my grandson was crying, and my granddaughter was smiling and clapping her hands.  I wasn't sure how I was going to keep my little thirty pound Godzilla, from destroying the newly built house yet again.  It was going to require tact and perfect timing.  It was too early for a nap, so I had to think.
     We decided to build a semi detached house.  One side would be for dolls and stuffies, the other side was a garage/junk yard for his cars.  It might work.
     We all began building, pushing, pulling, and piling things.  Finally, it was finished.  It was beautiful, and functional, and best of all, both parties were happy.
     After all of that, I needed a coffee.  I came out to the living room to find my grandson playing with one of the stuffies in the doll side, and my granddaughter pushing a car in the garage side!  Huh!  Go figure, oh well, they were both happy and content.
     Brothers and sisters, a complex dynamic for sure!

My granddaughter's original house

The new and improved doll house/ car garage

Comments

Popular Posts