Laughing, It Really Is The Best Medicine!

     Remember the game Telephone we used to play as a child?  The first person whispers something into the ear of the person beside them, then that person whispers it into the ear of the next person.  Each person whisperes the same thing to the next person, right?  Well, that was the premise of the game, but usually what the last person in line heard was not what the first person said.
     Friday afternoon, my daughter, my grandchildren and myself managed to survive our own version of Telephone.   
     As my daughter buckled my granddaughter into her car seat at the end of her school day, she exclaimed she had had the worst day ever.  Turning my head back to see her, I asked her "What was so bad about your day?"  Earlier, in the morning before school, she had been complaining of a sore leg.  So, after asking her why her day was in fact the worst day ever, she crossed her arms across her chest, cocked her head to one side and said "Well, I had to walk around all damn day with my sore leg, and it is definitely not growing pains!"  I was shocked by my granddaughter's vocabulary, my sweet little granddaughter said a cuss word and she didn't seem the least bit concerned.  I had to look away so she couldn't see me laughing, but I had to chastise her for her poor choice of words.  I cleared my throat, and told her she couldn't say that word, it just wasn't appropriate coming out of a child's mouth.  She looked at me and said "I know grandma, but my leg has been hurting all day and I'm too tired to think of a good word."  I just couldn't argue with that logic.
     My daughter had to go to the grocery store, so I dropped her off at the door while I took the children with me to fuel up my car.    My granddaughter wanted her Kinder egg that she didn't eat at lunch.  I let her open it up and she and her brother shared the chocolate.   The best thing about a Kinder egg, is the Kinder surprise inside the chocolate treat.
     I heard my granddaughter inhale excitedly, so I knew she had something special.   She found an Anna figure from the movie Frozen.  It was in four pieces that needed to be assembled.   My granddaughter is a petite little girl, with tiny hands.  She was struggling to hold all of the pieces as well as put her little doll together.   I suggested I help her, but she was determined to do it herself.   Had she been at home, with a table, she would have assembled it quickly and perfectly.   In a car seat, however, is a handicap without a doubt.   This is where our Telephone scenario began...
    We had returned to the entrance of the grocery store, and my daughter was just walking out as I heard my granddaughter gasp.  My daughter opened up the car door just as my granddaughter cried out "Oh no, this isn't good, this isn't good!  I can't find my body!" I turned around to see my granddaughter frantically trying to find one of the pieces to her toy.  My daughter heard "Oh no, this isn't good, this isn't good!  I can't feel my body!"  My daughter, then became completely unglued, thinking her daughter had lost all sensation in her body, dropped the groceries and attempted to undo my granddaughter 's car seat.  My granddaughter, however, was desperate to find her toy parts, so she was pushing against her mother's efforts.  My daughter was almost hysterical, my granddaughter was definitely hysterical, my grandson was sitting next to his sister with big eyes, darting from his sister, to his mom, and back again.  I, was in the front seat, watching all three of them in the back, listening to my granddaughter cry "I can't find my body or my head!" and listening to my daughter yell "Calm down, mommy's here."  I was busting, with a head back, big belly laugh.  I couldn't stop, even if I wanted.
     My daughter managed to free her daughter, and my granddaughter managed to spot her missing toy pieces.  My daughter was patting my granddaughter down yelling "Can you feel this?" as she moved her hands over her squirming daughter.  My granddaughter was pushing her mother's hands away, because she couldn't reach the dropped toy pieces.  It was very loud and extremely chaotic.  It was hilarious, well from my vantage point, anyway.
     After another minute, my daughter realized her daughter had total feeling in her body and head.  My granddaughter found the lost pieces and was calming down.  My grandson continued to turn his head from his mom to his sister to me, not knowing what to think.  Me, I was still laughing.  My daughter was glaring at me and asked me "What is happening here?"  Her voice was very pitchy and high.  I tried to explain what had happened but I couldn't speak.  I could only say "He he he he." My granddaughter, looked at me and spoke very cross, "Grandma!  Stop laughing!"  This of course made me begin my belly busting laugh all over again.
     My daughter clued in that she misunderstood what had happened.  Just like that game, she didn't hear what was was really said, so confusion soon became reality.  My daughter seeing me still laughing, began to laugh too.  My granddaughter had a look on her face like someone had pinched her, but she too began to laugh.  My grandson, seeing all of us laugh, started to laugh as well.
      There we were, sitting in a car, laughing hysterically, in front of a grocery store entrance, groceries dropped on the floor of the car, both passenger doors wide open as people passed by.  We must have been a sight.  We sounded like a bunch of cackling chickens.
     I looked at my granddaughter and said "How's your damn leg now?"  More laughing ensued.
     My belly hurt, Telephone was never so much fun.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts