I do, I do, I do!

   Twenty six years ago, June 2, 1990, my husband and I said I do.  We had a candlelight ceremony at 5:30 pm.  I remember pulling up to the church, t was 5:25 and the radio announcer said it was 100 degrees.  I didn't need a thermometer to tell me it was hot it was!  I was cooking internally!  I recall taking that walk down that long, red carpeted aisle with my dad.  I was shaking like a leaf in the wind, not because I was scared that I was making a mistake.  I knew I was doing the right thing making a life with my husband, but the idea of 200 people watching me made me crazy.  I am a very shy person, maybe not so much now but then, definitely!  Guests were snapping pictures every few seconds and at times I was blinded from the flashes as I walked.  Thankfully, my dad held me tight and kept me steady.  I saw him halfway down the aisle...head high, smiling, waiting for me.  I decided to just focus on him, keep my eye on the prize, and I did.  We arrived at the end of the aisle and it was time to let go of my dad's hand and take the hand of my husband to be.  My dad wouldn't let go.  I looked at him and I could see he was struggling.  I kissed him on his cheek and whispered in his ear "I was going to be OK now".  He took a long look at me and finally let go, turned around then sat beside my mom.  I never realized at the time what that meant to my dad, but I would, 22 years later in a hospital room, holding my dad's hand after he suffered a fatal heart attack.  I wouldn't let go.  I thought of my wedding day and I understood my dad's hesitation.  Letting go meant the end of a chapter in my life and his and the beginning of a new one.  Change is scary when you don't know what lies ahead.  I did let go of my dad's hand...finally and kissed him one final time.  This time it was me sitting down with my mom.   In shock, I drove my mom and I home.  My husband was waiting for us when we returned.  There were so many things to do.  Call our family, make funeral arrangements, fill out government paper work.  My husband never missed a beat.  He took charge of calling funeral homes, making final arrangements and guiding us through the first process of death.  My husband continued gently drawing my mom and I back to the moment when we would drift off in our world of grief.  He never left me or my mom all day.   My husband is a ROCK!  I knew he would be a helper, even we were engaged but pressure brings out the best in my husband.  Like a piece of carbon, under pressure for long periods of time turns into a diamond, that is him, shining, strong and brilliant.  He has been with me during child birth,  raising our children and now our grandchildren,  holding my hand and never leaving my side during 3 heart surgeries, countless cardioversions (the paddles on the chest, doctors yell clear), the deaths of my parents and day to day madness.  Sometimes he drives me crazy but at the end of each day I thank God for giving me such a good husband.  We took a vow 26 years ago, in front of God, friends and family to love each other til death do we part.   Never, did I realize how hard, crazy and wonderful it would be...but I am so blessed to be on this crazy road with him I love him today, tomorrow, forever! ♡♡♡

Comments

Popular Posts