Ode to Spiders!

     My grandchildren are spending next weekend with us,  I washed the bedding so everything is clean and fresh for a good night's sleep...both theirs and mine!  I particularly enjoy hanging them out on the clothesline for that fresh outdoors scent. The bedding, not my grandchildren!  Mother Nature is the sweetest of perfumes.  As I put my laundry basket on the stool, I noticed a huge spiderweb in between the 2 lines of the pulley.  I do not care for spiders, I believe I have mentioned this previously.   However, I could not help but stand back and admire the workmanship and engineering of that web.  It was intricate and in perfect proportion.  There were no holes in it or tattered spots from prey being caught.  I decided it was a new web.  I couldn't see the spider but I had no doubt it could see me with all his eyes!  I looked at my basket full of linens, freshly washed and waiting to be hung, then back again to the spiders web.   A feeling of regret stung me as I recalled destroying a web when I was a child, simply because I did not like spiders.  It was in a garden and didn't affect me adversely, but I destroyed it anyway.   Who was I to do that again?  True, the spider had worked for hours spinning this little masterpiece, but it was on my clothesline!  Oh, what to do!  I told myself I was being ridiculous, so I grabbed the bottom line and began to pull it out.  Yikes, I found the spider or rather he found me!  Out he came with his front 2 legs sticking up with a fierce looking posture.  It worked!  I backed away.  The web was now torn in half, there was no going back at this point.  Gathering my composure,  I began to pull the line a bit more,  the spider literally ran across that line right toward me!  I did what anyone would do in this situation, I ran!  I ran to the other side of my garage and grabbed a stick of kindling from the firepit.  Thinking I could relocate the spider to a safer spot for both of us, I walked carefully back to the clothesline.  I couldn't see the spider, it was either gone or hidden, waiting for another sneak attack.  I suspected the latter.  Time was ticking on and I had things to do.  I began to hang my wet bedding on the line, but constantly aware of my surroundings.   That spider was lurking somewhere.  I finished hanging everything and pulled the line all the way out in the lawn to catch the breeze.  As I bent down to pick up my empty laundry basket I noticed him.  He was anchoring a new web from the clothesline pole to the clothespin box.  Aha,  a much better spot I thought.  I watched him continue working, quickly and on a mission.   He didn't seem to notice me or if he did he chose to ignore me.  I was sure that by the next time I arrived back he would be finished his work.  Apologizing to him for displacing him, I walked into the house to do more laundry.  I thought about that spider and how resilient he was.  I had new respect for the 8 legged little beasts.  I still don't like seeing them, I still find them creepy but I do appreciate the work they do.  So here is my Monday shout out to spiders.  May you always have silk to spin and and a web to dine, and may I always have a spider free, ready to use clothesline!

Comments

Popular Posts