Parking Wars!

     I picked up my granddaughter from school one day last week, and as usual I arrived a bit early so I could get a parking spot in the parking lot.  I don't like parking on the street especially when I have to open the door to buckle her in.  Not so safe.  Now, I have picked her up from school at least twice a week for the past 9 months and in doing so I have observed some things that anoy me to say the least.  I find it strange that in a parking lot, people assume they can break the law.  I watched a car take up 2 handicap parking spots just by parking carelessly.  This is a major pet peeve of mine, parking in one of these spaces when you don't need to.  So, after getting out of my car and pointing out to this rule breaker that she is taking up not one but 2 handicap spots she just laughed and said "It's OK,  I am just picking up my son".   Looking at her defiantly, I explained that there are 2 different sets of grandparents who pick up their grandchildren and they both require these parking spaces due to their physical limitations.  Annoyed, this woman said the exact same thing to me as if that made everything I said obsolete.  Not willing to let this go I told her she needed to move her car.  I pointed out other spots that were available but quickly being taken.  This woman, hands on her hip told me to mind my own business and go back to my car.  Anyone who knows me understands that I don't walk away from conflict very easily.   Holding firm with my hands on my hips too, I said sternly "No, not until you move to another spot".  At this point we had a stand off!  Others were watching as we bantered back and forth.  Finally, she broke the silence and said "Why do you care"?  Well my dear, you asked I said to myself.  I begin my rant with "Rules are set in place for reasons, either for safety or just human decency.  This is both.  The law is still the law whether in a school parking lot or on the street.  What if you went to Walmart and were patiently waiting in line for your turn and someone budded in line and said I'm in a hurry so I am going ahead of you.  Would you say something to her"?  She rolled her eyes and said "It's not the same thing".  "How isn't it"?  I asked her.  "Because, she said, I would hypothetically be in line ahead of her, it's rude to bud".  Nodding my head, I said "Exactly, you budded in front of 2 other people that need this spot.  You are just as guilty".  She turned and got into her car, she reversed out of the 2 parking spots and immediately moved into a No Parking spot saved for a fire route.  She got out of her car and refused to make eye contact with me.  The bell rang, I found my granddaughter and buckled her into her car seat.  I watched the chaos that ensued; from cars blocking other cars, vehicles double parked or even blocking the exit!  Shaking my head I waited for someone to move so I could pull out.  While waiting, I noticed the woman that I scolded earlier trying to get out of her parking spot but unable because someone had blocked her in!  Laughing, I waved to her.  She waved back to me with the middle finger.  Then I noticed the car blocking her in was one of the grandparents that needed one of the 2 handicapped parking spots.  Someone else had once again parked there, so this gentleman parked illegally too.  Why not?  I guess he assumed If you can't beat them, join them.  Whatever his reason was, maybe he had joined the parking elite.  I noticed this woman was visibly frustrated looking all around for someone to move the other car.  It's not often  I get to see karma work but when I do it is very satisfying.  I spotted the limping grandfather walking slowly toward his car holding his grandsons hand.  Immediately the woman got out of her car and began yelling at him telling him she was in a hurry and how dare he block her in.  He apologized very graciously and explained that someone had taken up the handicap parking spot so he had no choice.  Then he said something that made me laugh.  "It's OK,  I am just picking up my grandson "!  Karma! It's great!

Comments

Popular Posts