Death Making Room

     I was visiting my friend at the hospital last night.  My granddaughter and I talked and laughed with Deb for 2 hours.  It was     7 o'clock, and my granddaughter was having a sleepover, so it was time to get my girl home, bathed, and ready for bed.
     We were walking down the corridor, on the way to the main entrance, and the parking lot.
     There was a small group of people standing in the main lobby, their body language spoke volumes, they were clearly upset.  The closer we came to them, the more I realized they were more than upset, they were devestated.  My granddaughter noticed they were crying, and she looked up at me with big eyes and pulled on my hand.  "Grandma", she whispered, "Why are those people crying, what's wrong with them"?
     I stopped, and bent down, looking directly at my granddaughter, who by now was beginning to cry herself.  I wasn't sure what was wrong, but I knew whatever it was it had changed their life.
     As I was comforting my granddaughter, she, in her childish innocence, asked the group of people standing just a few feet away why they were crying!  I nearly died, I took her by the hand and was about to chastise her for asking such a personal question, when a woman about my age walked over to her and quietly told her.  "My mom just passed away" she said.  This grieving woman took the time to talk to my granddaughter during this awful time.  I didn't know what to say, so I just threw my arms around her and hugged her.  We stood there, 2 strangers, holding one another.  She was feeling overwhelmed, so she just let me hold her, I, knowing what the future held for this woman emotionally, held her and didn't say a word.
     Her husband came over and took her hand and led her to a lounge chair.  I shook my head, in understanding, sharing her grief.  Her husband began talking to me, I believe mostly because he was in shock, and had a lot of nervous energy to dispel.
     He told me his mother in law had passed away just a few minutes before, at 6:50 pm.  He and his brother in law were trying to call everyone, but they hadn't called more than a couple of people on their list.  My heart was breaking for these people,  remembering all too well the feelings of loss and lonliness after the death of my parents.   I told him to just sit and take a few minutes.  Phoning people at that moment wasn't going to change anything.
     My granddaughter was standing there, holding her hands in front of her tummy, looking sad.  As we left, she ran over to the woman who was sitting, and rocking back and forth.  My granddaughter threw her arms around her and told her Jesus loves her and everything would be alright.   The grieving woman, smiled at my granddaughter's sweetness and said "Thank you".
     We were finally on our way again, we walked out the door and we're walking towards my car when we saw another small gathering of people.  This group was different from the last, they were hugging each other too, but for a totally different reason.  They were celebrating!  A new baby had been born to their family and they were thrilled!
     As we were walking past this festive bunch, a woman a bit older than myself, was beaming as she told me she was a first time grandma.   I congratulated her, as we stopped.  "I have a new grandson, born about a half an hour ago, well, 6:51 to be exact".  I don't recall his weight or how long he was, because I was stuck on the time.  6:51 pm.
     The other woman's mother passed away at 6:50 pm.  I had a shiver run up my spine.   I don't believe in reincarnation whatsoever,  but I do believe that when a person leaves this world, a new one is born.  Death making room for life.
     We finally made it to the car, and my granddaughter looked conflicted as I buckled her into her seat.  I said "Wow, what an emotional walk to the car"!  She looked at me, and she smiled at me.  "Grandma, I think it's nice that lady died".  I was shocked by her statement.   She is not a mean spirited child, so I couldn't believe what I heard her say.  "Why would you say that"?  I asked her.  Smiling, she said in a happy tone "Because, grandma, that lady
helped bring that baby to his family.  She made sure he got to his mommy safely, because children can't be by themselves.   Then, she went to heaven".    I smiled back at her, I couldn't agree more.
Here is a link to a video, called Moving On.
It's touching and so true.



http://clapco.net/mobile-oo.php?news=2803

Comments

Popular Posts