Where's the Beef?

     While driving to my daughters this morning, I was listening to the radio like I usually do.  A 30 second radio spot was advertising a legal firm, their mantra was "We are your personal injury lawyers".  This made me laugh.   Personal injury lawyer...maybe I need one of these!
     I understand what they were advertising, it was just the thought of a personal injury team that made me roar.  This, of course, made me think of other ads I had seen or heard over the years.  There have been more than a few commercials that have made an impact on my funny bone.
     Plop, Plop,  fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is...gave us relief from stomach upset with Alka Seltzer.  I tried it when I was a kid, I only have one word for it, "Yeuch"!  Let me say, there was no relief, I was yakking for 30 minutes.  How about, I can't believe I ate the whooole thing...for ALL of the gluttonous moments, help once again from Alka Seltzer.  This was advertising genius!  Everyone, everywhere was heard impersonating that painful phrase.
     Our mornings would begin with orange juice, because A day without orange juice was like a day without sunshine, according to  Florida Orange Juice.  We would all place our ear to our cereal bowl to hear the snap, crackle and pop from Kelloggs Rice Krispies.  Parents, were enjoying their Maxwell House  coffee, because it was good to the last drop!
     Lunch, of course was even more special thanks to Cambell's soup, it was Mmm Good,  especially with a grilled cheese sandwich that was dipped in Heinz ketchup.  It was thick and yummy, and the Anticipation while waiting for the first drop was torture.  If you were lucky, you could enjoy Kentucky Fried Chicken, it was always finger looking good!  
     As the 70's approached, advertising began to evolve.  With so many products, advertisers, needed to have a creative edge to help sell their products.  Chain hamburger restaurants had us singing, two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun, for a McDonald's Big Mac!  Perhaps one of the most memorable and iconic ads for a hamburger was 3 elderly ladies standing at a counter, checking their burger, when the tiniest one asks the question Where's the beef?  People were walking around with t shirts asking the same question, thanks to Wendy's .
     Of course, most people made their own dinner, which always begged the question "What should I make"?   Robert Mitchum, suggested Beef, it's what's for dinner.  Or, maybe chicken was on the menu. Ragu, had people all over flapping their arms like a chicken, chanting I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight.  Brilliant, and annoying!
     After a hard days work, there was Miller time, or if you wanted something softer, Coke, was cool, and it was the real thing.  7 Up, was the refreshing uncola.
     Advertisers make us believe we need to buy their brands, they have us singing, dancing and repeating their catch phrase.           Leo Burnett,  the Elvis of advertising, was quoted " Don't tell me how good you make it; tell me how good it makes me when I use it".   Afterall, we're buying their promise!
   Enjoy this YouTube video,
Where's the Beef?
   
https://youtu.be/Ug75diEyiA0   

Comments

Popular Posts