A Blessing and a Curse

     Once again, my cat Torro, disrupted my Thursday night.
     I had just arrived home from taking my husband his dinner, and I was tidying up, collecting the recycling, and washing dishes.  I decided to take the box of recycling outside so it wouldn't attract fruit flies.  My husband detests them!  I turned on the water in the kitchen sink, and picked up the box of recycling.   I opened up the back door and decided since it was pouring rain I would drop the recycling outside the door until it stopped raining.  I did just that, but then I noticed a glass on my patio table, so I ran the 3 steps in the rain and grabbed it.  Might as well wash it with the rest of the dishes I thought.   I turned around to go in the house and the door was closed.  Hmmm, I had left it wide open when I came out.  I could hear Torro meowing at the door and slapping the door knob.  I tried to turn the knob, but it was locked.
     "Oh no! "  My keys and phone were both in the house.  Torro, by this time was complaining very loudly.
     It was raining very hard, in fact, there had been flooding all over the city from the torrential rainfall, I had no shoes and I was locked out of my house.  Then, I remembered the water running in my kitchen sink.  "Don't panic, there's still time." I said to myself.  I began frantically looking for a way into my house.
     I ran out in the rain to check the garage, just in case.  It was locked.  I couldn't pick the lock, I didn't know how.  I had to open one of my kitchen windows and climb in.  I knew this was not going to be easy.  I climbed up on the cable box, which is directly under one of my kitchen windows.  I could see bubbles galore.  My sink would be overflowing anytime!
     I ran to the side of the house, we have a gas line and meter under the side kitchen window.  I climbed up there, and managed to pull the screen out, and push the window open.  Now what?   There was no way I could pull my fat ass up there and then climb in the window.  I stepped down, I could hear the water overflowing on the floor.  Damn!
     An old car is parked in our driveway, which belongs to one of our friends. It is parked beside the window, maybe, just maybe, I could jump from the hood of his car to the window sill and climb through.  I had to try.
     There is a reason young people are in gymnastics,  a walker, could really impede their performance, as well as a 52 year old, out of shape, soaked to the skin woman!  So, there I was, on top of this 80 's something car, thankfully, or it would have crumpled,  bouncing, bending my knees, swinging my arms like I was getting ready to do long jump.  I held my breath, and jumped...right against the brick wall.  I never even touched the window sill!  Damn!
     Torro, was underneath the camping trailer meowing at me.  I turned around and yelled at him to shut up.  Bella, my little cat was standing in the open kitchen window, meowing at me too.  I envisioned the headlines, Cat lady drowns in rainstorm surrounded by her cats.  That would never do!
     I leaned against the car, soaking wet, wanting to cry, so of course, I began to laugh hysterically.   I threw my head back, letting the rain soak me.  What else could I do?
     I noticed 4 tires piled up in front of the trailer.  They, I decided were my saving grace.  I picked them up,  one at a time, and piled them up, carefully balancing myself while holding onto the window sill.   So far so good.  I was half way in, thank the Lord.  Now what? It was a long way down to the floor.   I opted to climb head first onto the kitchen table. I shimmied myself through, my toes were getting skinned on the bricks as I made my way through the window.  No wonder babies cry when they're born!
     I wasn't going anywhere, I was stuck.  All sorts of expletives were coming out of my mouth, my fat ass was sticking out of my kitchen window, my floor had water running all the way to the table and I was stuck!  What else could go wrong ?   I'll tell you, Torro!   He jumped right on my back.  It's a habit he has.  Usually he jumps on our shoulders,  but he couldn't find mine, so my back worked.  Thankfully, that was the inertia I needed to make my final push through the window.  I plopped half onto the table, and half onto the floor.  Muddy, wet and happy!  I jumped up, and tip toed through the water, and turned the tap off.
     Torro had disappeared into the rain.   For once, I wanted to kiss him.
     I unlocked my back door, put on my sandals, and moved my husbands tires back in front of the trailer.  I really should kiss him too. I fumbled with the window screen to put it back.  It was not working.  That would have to be a job for my husband tomorrow I decided.
     Off I totterd to the bathroom, and climbed into the shower.  This was beginning to be a bad habit for me, climbing in here with my clothes on!
     After showering, and changing into clean clothes, I mopped my floors.   They really needed to be washed anyway.
     I finished the dishes, then went and sat down.  By this time, it was 10 o'clock!  I wanted some tea, so into the kitchen I went, and there was  Torro sitting in the same kitchen window I had climbed through a few hours before.  I opened it up, expecting him to jump down, into the kitchen.  He didn't.   He just sat there, rubbing his head against my head!  "You, make me crazy cat!" I told him.  He purred back.
     My black and white cat, was decidedly, a blessing and a curse.   I wouldn't have it any other way.

Torro, getting love from my grandson.♡♡

Comments

Popular Posts