Silver and Gold

     Why is it, that as we age, our bodies change?  Why does our hair have to turn gray?  Or if you are blessed like my friend Char, your hair will be silver, and gorgeous.  She is a silver fox!  My friend Shelley, only has about 10 gray hairs on her whole head!  Her hair is just as pretty, silky and luxurious as it was when she was 30. My hair, seems to be sprouting gray pieces of wire.  Perpendicular, corkscrew wires growing out of my head, making me look like Medusa! 
     My skin is no longer dewy and firm, I used to have a peaches and cream complexion, now its more like lillies and milk.  My hair is thinner and my body is fatter, I have laugh lines, but I would like to argue the laughing point.  I don't think I laughed that much!  I demand a recount!
     I can no longer eat what I want.  It's either too high in salt, sugar, or both.  I love cheese, we used to have a wonderful love affair. Now, our relationship has degraded to just a few hours, its more like a one night stand, that only sticks around for an hour or two, and then it needs to evacuate!  Taking the closest toilet as its exit!  Raw broccoli,  and cauliflower, are my favourite veggies to munch, but now, if I indulge, I sound like I am auditioning for the baritone section in the infamous brass band, the Black Dykes. 
     Even my brain seems to be getting older, I know it is getting older, but I thought I could always count on it staying quick and sharp.  Not as much these days, instead of being sharp as the edge of a knife, I now liken it to more of a spork, the utensil that jails give to inmates to eat with, mostly dull, but with a few pointed tines.  Probably, my mind understands what is happening to my body, so it's a defense mechanism to prevent me from injuring myself.
     My joints crack when I move and I always have the desire to snap my fingers and start bopping around, my jaw is beginning to make popping sounds when I open my mouth, and my thighs rub together when I walk, making a swish, swish sound when I walk.  All of these markers of aging,  are making me consider starting a jazz group, appropriately called Me, Myself and I!
     My 83 year old aunt tells me I am in my golden years.  I don't know about that, my teeth, however do have a bit of silver, but,  my hair does not, it used to shine like a new penny, now, it's more of a tarnished penny.
     When I see a picture of myself, I stop for a moment and ask "Where did that girl go I used to know'?
     Deciding, I am who I am, I can walk, see, hear and think.  I can breathe and my heart is finally behaving.  I am blessed and grateful.
     I am happy and I am alive
and I have friends and family that love me, and I know I am beautiful to them.

Comments

Popular Posts