Because, I'm Worth It

     I bought some new face cream yesterday.  In my 52 years of living,  I have only used Noxema, and Oil of Olay.
     Unfortunately,  there was no Oil of Olay for sensitive skin.  So, after looking around and asking the cosmetologist for her opinion,  I bought skin serum.   
     I have never used a serum, but the cosmetologist, assured me that my mature skin would benefit from its properties.  It sounded good to me.
     After having a bath, I read the directions carefully, looked at myself in the mirror sighing.  "Mirror, mirror on the wall, make my crows feet, fine and small."  I squeezed out 3 tiny drops on my ring finger, applying it in multiple places, all over my face.  It felt like oil, and it was easy to apply.  It felt almost tingly.
     I went to my room, to put on my pyjamas, my face was feeling warm.  It must have a thermal property.   It was getting warm, and then tropical, changed to searing, and was quickly becoming nuclear! I pulled a clean face cloth from the shelf, and ran it under cold water and frantically began wiping my face.  "Holy sweet mother, my face is on fire!"  I was getting absolutely no relief from the wet washcloth,  so I plunged my face under the tap, running straight cold water over my face.  That was making it worse!
     My mind was swirling,  searching for some relief.   Milk!  I ran to the kitchen, and pulled the milk pitcher out of the fridge.   I leaned over the sink as I poured the cold milk all over my face.   "Aahhh, finally...relief.  I could feel the temperature in my cheeks begin to cool.
     I poured milk into a bowl, and continued  to soak the washcloth in milk, and lay it over my face.  After using up all of the milk, I found the box that the serum came in.  I read everything, there was no mention of any kind of a holy sh*t, we're going to set your face on fire, expected reaction, so I assumed I was having some kind of an adverse reaction.  I found a phone number, so I called it.
     It was a recording of their product line.  "You have to be kidding!"  I pressed "0", and surprisingly, I heard a "hello" with a southern drawl.  I explained what product I had used, and what had happened to me.  She asked me if I was a geriatric woman!  I asked her to define geriatric.   She said anyone 80 plus!
     "80?  As in years?"  I yelled into my phone.  "Yes ma'am" came her response, dripping with bored, Southern sarcasm.  I assured her, I was 30 years away from 80.  She told me it was unusual for that reaction, but, if I wasn't happy, I could return the product for a full refund, and she would send me some coupons for free products.   "Why?  So you can deface my face?  No thank you!"  She said, calmly, I might add "Well thank you ma'am, have a wonderful evening,  and remember, you're worth it!"    Oh my good grief!  Not only was I a victim of a self inflicted thermonuclear explosion, I was also a victim of advertising redderick!
     I hung up my phone, and went to the bathroom to check out the damage.   My face was a lovely shade of burnt, I can only describe as aubergine.  My eyes, we're swollen, with bags, and they were packed for what looked like a trip around the world, and my mouth, well, it resembled Steven Tyler's!  Dude, looks like a lady, looking like an old, worn out 80's rock singer!   I was an epic mess!
     My skin, it seems is in a state of revolt, seemingly being ruled by Hugo Chavez.  
I looked at myself, and I wanted to cry,
"Mirror, mirror, in my loo,
My face, I fear, does look like poo!"
     I guzzled back a huge shot of Benedryl, and decided to go to bed.  Things would look better in the morning,  and I hoped I was one of them.
     When I woke up this morning,  I took a look at myself,  there didn't seem to be any long term effects, other than a huge void in my wallet.
     Today, I will take back the serum, and drive to Walmart, where, I will buy my Oil of Olay, for sensitive skin, because I'm worth it.









 

Comments

Popular Posts