He Shoots, He Scores!

     My husband and I went to see a hockey game yesterday.  The Florida Panthers and Dallas Stars were playing an exhibition game at London's Budweiser Gardens. 
     I wasn't nearly excited to see the game as my husband.   My brother was supposed to go, but he wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I was the next choice.
     We arrived just as the players were skating out onto the ice.  Two national anthems later, the first puck was dropped and an exciting game was under way.
     I looked around the arena, and noticed lots of green and red hockey jerseys in the audience.  People definitely had their favourite team, that was evident.
     Both teams were playing hard, really hard.  I was actually surprised at how passionate each player was, both on the ice and on the bench.  Their eyes never left the action or the puck for a second.  For some reason,  I assumed an Exhibition Game was a gentlemen's game of hockey.  Passing the puck, skating around, giving the crowd a show.
     Wow, was I wrong!  These guys were digging for the puck, checking each other into the boards, shooting the puck down the ice with 100 mph slap shots, oh and the fights.  Yes,  there were fights, because what's a hockey game without a fight?
     As I watched players skate past me, my husband was telling me their names and statistics, most of them were lost somewhere in space.  However, there were a couple of players that stood out to me.
     One was Jaromir Jàgr, a 44 year old from the Czech Republic.   He was twice the age of most of his teammates and opponents.   He was amazing.  I guess that is what separates superstars from the rest of us.
     The game was tied 1-1, about to go into overtime.  The NHL has changed its rules on overtime, now it's 3 players on 3 for 5 minutes.   If there is no goal, then it goes into a shootout.
     It was 3 minutes and 48 seconds into overtime, Florida had a penalty, so Dallas got another player on the ice.  Jàgr, who plays for Florida, gained control of the puck.  He was truly poetry in motion.  He was amazing to watch.  He skated with the puck, keeping the 4 opposing players at bay.  His stick handling, and skating abilities were mesmerizing.  He skated the penalty away, until it was back to 3 on 3 again.  He gave this exhibition game his whole heart and sole.  Unfortunately, Dallas scored the winning goal.
     If a game could be won with heart, Florida would have won, simply because of Jaromir Jàgr.
     Age doesn't define ones ability, or desire to win.  Age, merely allows one the freedom to move with ease, and more available energy.  The rest is hard work and determination.
     We left that game, excited from seeing this caliber of playing but, mostly because these players work very hard for their fans.       Hockey is a Canadian game.  A game of skill, speed, endurance and heart, just like it's citizens.
     If Foster Hewit were still alive, we would have heard the phrase he was famous for.  "He shoots, he scores!"  Afterall, that's why we watch!

Jaromir Jàgr


   

Comments

Popular Posts