Counting My Blessings

     Yesterday, was Thanksgiving Day, here in Canada.  It's a day full of traditions, with roast turkey and all of the fixings, relaxing, and getting together with friends and family.  This is the day, typified by being thankful for all of the blessings we receive on a daily basis.
     In church, we sing a song called Count Your Blessings.  It's a simple song, with powerful words -
     Count your blessings, name them one by one, 
Count your blessings, see what God has done.
Being thankful, everyday, should be simple and easy, but we tend to get caught up in life, so subsequently we are neglectful in being as thankful as we should be on a daily basis.
      I would like to say I am thankful for so many things.   Having mourned for both of my parents, and niece after their death, was horrible, but without that loss, knowing true joy would be even less sweet. Through that experience, I have gained true capacity for love, something I would never have appreciated without experiencing such profound loss.
     I am grateful for my years of health issues,  because without the pain, and discomfort, I would not be able to acknowledge the good health that I am so blessed with  now.
     I thank the good Lord for allowing me to have had financial difficulties in the past, for it has kept me humble, and more willing to share my good fortune now, with others who are struggling.
     I am thankful for this country I live in.  For its vast land, diverse culture, the Great Lakes, it's two oceans, ten provinces, and three territories.   Canada is a free country, and I love it.
     I am blessed to be on a diet at the moment, that shows I have never been really hungry, and I have always had enough to eat.
     I have a home that's paid for, food in my fridge,  freezer and pantry to feed myself, my family and friends.   I have heat in the winter, and cool air in the summer.  I have fresh water to drink, and for showering, not to mention, indoor plumbing...it's a wonderful thing.
     I have a great family that I love with all my heart, as well as good friends, who I enjoy spending time with.  I am thankful for these people, each one, for filling my life with love and laughter, they all give me something different and special.
     I have so much in my life.  I do my best, everyday to thank God for all of the little things in my life.  Things I take for granted, but, make my life easier and more comfortable.
     I am so thankful to God for keeping me safe and healthy.
     I pray that each one reading this is as blessed as I am, and just as thankful.
     If you haven't counted your blessings today, I encourage you to do so.   Count your blessings,  name them one by one.






   

Comments

Popular Posts