Blood Pressure Woes, It's Not Always A Good Time!

     This morning, was a challenging beginning to my day.  I had a doctor's appointment for 9 am, to get a vaccination before going on our cruise.   Before getting my shot, I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription.
     The pharmacy technician looked in the container of filled scripts,  and mine wasn't in there.  She smiled at me, assuring me it wouldn't take long to fill it.  I was handed a buzzer.  It buzzes when my prescription is ready.
     I have experienced this before, I always end up walking around, buzzer in hand, waiting for my script to be filled, picking up various things, and by the time my buzzer starts to vibrate, my basket is full and my wallet is thinner.
     Not today!  I thought.  Today, I am going to take a stand, or rather a seat!  I will sit, and wait for my prescription, and that, is exactly what I did.
     I sat in the waiting area, and looked around.  Beside me, was a blood pressure station.   I decided I would take my blood pressure.  I took my left arm out of my coat, and sat down.  Placing my arm in the cuff, I read the directions and pressed the green start button.  Nothing happened.   Hmmm...I read the directions again.  Once again,  I pushed the start button, still nothing.   I will try one more time I thought.   This time, I pushed the start button, and I held it for about 5 seconds.  This time, I heard the humming of the machine, and felt the cuff  begin to tighten.
     It began to beep, and the screen flashed 101/69.  Awesome!   My blood pressure is always a little low, but this number was great.   Smiling, I waited for the cuff to loosen.  It didn't, not at all, in fact, it began to hum again and tighten more.  Oh oh!  My hand was turning a deep red, and my fingers were tingling. It beeped again.  Good!  This time, my blood pressure read 123/84.
     The buzzer in my coat pocket went off.   The blood pressure cuff, still didn't loosen. The buzzer, went off again, and so did the blood pressure cuff.  I was becoming fairly alarmed.  It beeped again, this time, my blood pressure rose to 149/95!
     The pharmacist called my name, I was frantically waving to get his attention.   He noticed me, and he said "Your prescription is ready."  The blood pressure cuff, was humming again.   "Hey, I need some assistance over here!"  I tried, to keep my voice light, and not sound panicked.   The pharmacist walked out from behind the counter and asked me if I was OK.
     I looked at him, and said "No!  I'm not OK,  your blood pressure machine is holding me hostage!"  He leaned over me and pushed the red stop button.  Nothing.   It began to hum again.  He leaned in closer, holy man, I thought did you eat a cluster of garlic for breakfast?   He, pushed the stop button again,  still nothing.
     I couldn't feel my hand and my arm hurt.  The pharmacy technician came over, and pressed stop too.  I had 2 people in my personal space, I was feeling claustrophobic and crowded.  I found it ironic, that the lyrics to the song playing on the store stereo system was ""Whoa-o its always a good time!"  This, was not a good time for me!
           "This machine wasn't working right yesterday." said the pharmacy technician.   "What?  I said.  "Call the fire department, get the jaws of life! "  The pharmacist,  looked like I slapped him.  "We are Not calling the fire department!"  I was completely panicked now, and I had to get to my doctor's appointment.   My doctor requires a 6 month appointment before he looks at you, I was not missing this appointment.
     The pharmacist was patting my shoulder and telling me to "Stay calm, we will figure this out."  That, was making it worse.  "Please, stop patting my shoulder!" I snapped.  By this time, I had a small crowd gathering around me.  One guy actually snapped a picture of me.  "If I see this on Facebook or YouTube, I will find you!"  A wonderful, senior, suggested they pull the plug.  We all just looked at him.  Why hadn't we thought of that?
     The blood pressure machine, beeped 3 times,  and I began to feel relief on my left arm.  I hugged the little man that orchestrated my release.  I was so grateful,  I almost cried.
     I had to pay for my prescription,  I suggested that the pharmacy pay, but I was told "No!"
     I made it to my doctor's appointment with 3 minutes to spare, and promptly had to wait for 35 minutes for my shot.  My arm was still red and stiff, but I was finally getting feeling to my fingers.  The nurse practitioner,  looked at me and asked if I felt OK.  I told her I felt fine, but she insisted on taking my blood pressure.   It was 121/72.  She smiled and said "Perfect."  If only she knew!  She asked me if I was right or left handed,  and being as I said right, I had to get my injection in my left arm.  Wow!  Did that shot hurt!  Perhaps, the pain resulted from my arm being in a blood pressure tourniquet and having no blood flow.  Regardless, my arm hurt.
     The next time, I have to wait for a prescription,  I will stick to my regular routine, walk around and shop.  It is definitely safer.


   
 
   

Comments

Popular Posts