Pumpkins Come, and Pumpkins Go, but Jack-o-lanterns Steal the Show!

     Our family carved pumpkins into Jack-o-lanterns last night.  It was a total family affair.  My husband and my granddaughter were working on one, and my son and myself, were both busy gutting two more.
     My granddaughter, couldn't wait to start carving.  She learned the virtue of patience last night.  She had to pull out all of the slimy guts and seeds, before she could begin her creative endeavors.  She put her hands inside the pumpkin, and pulled out fist fulls of seeds and pumpkin  guts.  My granddaughter's sweet little face, was contorted into horrified expressions, as well as a chorus of "Eeww, and this is disgusting!"
     She no longer wanted to scoop out the pumpkin.   She wanted to get to the good stuff, designing, and carving the pumpkin into the Jack-o-lantern.   We explained to her that the gross and disgusting part had to be finished before the fun could begin.
     My daughter, was busy separating all of the seeds from the slimy innards, so she could roast them to make delicious treats for her children.   She too, was making faces, and verbally complaining about how gross it was touching the pumpkin guts.  The symmetry, between daughter and granddaughter, made my husband and I, both laugh.  They were identical, both in looks and actions.
     My grandson,  was not bothered by the slime or mess at all!  He had his chubby little hand inside a hollowed out pumpkin, scooping with a spoon.  He, was having a great time, stirring and whirring.   My son, had designed and was in the process of carving a very complicated Spiderman.  He too, had a huge smile on his face, and he was elbow deep in pumpkin guts.  Again, the symmetry was hilarious.  The dirtier, the better.  They were yin and yang,
     My husband and I just sat back, watching and smiling.
     By the time my granddaughter was finished drawing her scary witch face on her pumpkin, she was ready to carve.  Unfortunately,  I wouldn't let her use the knife.  We didn't have the pumpkin carving tools, so, I had to do the carving.   My granddaughter,  was not happy with not being able to carve her witch, and made it known.   I told her, she if she continued, she would have more than a Jack-o-lantern witch to contend with.  We compromised, I carved, and she pulled out the pieces.   We were both happy.
     An hour later, 2 Jack-o-lanterns were sitting on my daughter's table, the other, waiting for my daughter to carve.  There was a mess on the table, and on the floor, 2 ecstatic, sticky, slimy kids, a satisfied uncle, a tired mom, and 2 happy grandparents.   It had been a messy and productive night.
     It was a fun night.  We enjoyed being together as a family, sharing good times, gross times and lots of laughter, and that, is what family is all about.
   

Comments

Popular Posts