Hoyle, I Am Not!

     Do you every feel like you are a fluffy feather floating in the wind?  Like the feather from the movie Forrest Gump, when Tom Hanks, opens up his childhood book, and his feather falls out and begins flitting about, at the mercy of the breeze.
     This morning was like that for me.  Heck, most of my life has been that, at the mercy of a strong breeze.
     I can have my day all planned out, in my mind, I get so much accomplished.   Reality, is never as good as dreaming.
     This morning, I was up before 5 am, I had laundry to do.  Because of hyper inflated hydro rates in Ontario, it's best to do laundry in the early morning or late in the evening.   So, I did the math in my head, I could get 2 loads of laundry washed and dried before the daily rate increase, at 7 am. I gathered my first load together, and started the washing machine.   My machine has been giving us grief since May.  My husband has repaired it twice since then.  However,  it stops before the rinse cycle.   It's really frustrating to say the least.  This morning,  was no different.   I heard it stop, so my husband told me to unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in and reset the cycle to rinse.  Sometimes,  I can do 4 loads of laundry with no trouble at all.  Not today.  Today, I had to unplug it and wait 10 minutes.   After my allotted wait time, I ran back downstairs to plug it back in and reset the timer.  Nothing.  Aaarrrggg!  I did this 4 times.  The clock now read 5:45 am, and I hadn't even finished my first load.  My frustration level was rising fairly quickly.  I had a lot of things to get accomplished today.  The only thing I was doing was running up and down the stairs. That feather, was being blown all around this morning!
     Sighing, I began sorting the toys in my grandchildrens toy room.   I was donating 2 large hampers.  We needed a place to put our outdoor wicker furniture.  We decided the toy room was a perfect spot.  My granddaughter would love it!  A quaint little tea room for her tea parties.  I managed to separate 1 bin of toys, when I remembered the laundry.   I ran downstairs...again.  Switching the dial, I held my breath.   Nothing.  It didn't look like any laundry would get finished before 7 o'clock.  I could see that feather, flitting around, still blowing in the wind.
     Back upstairs, I needed a coffee.  I brewed myself a steaming cup of delicious dark roast coffee.  I opened up the fridge to pour the cream in, but there wasn't any.  There wasn't even a drop of milk left in the bag, which was still in my refrigerator.   Aarrgg!  I cannot drink black coffee!  No matter how much I want it, black is not for me!  There went that feather again, fluttering about.
     It was almost 7 am, I ran downstairs one last time.  This time, I was rewarded with the sound of water being emptied from the machine.  Figures. One load, in 2 hours.  That feather was slowly floating back down towards me.
     I decided, to take a break.  I looked around.  I had toys all over my hall floor, 2 large bins full of toys in my living room, and, a cup of cold black coffee.  "Best laid plans." I muttered to myself.   That feather, finally dropped.
     We, as humans try to make plans, to make our life easier and more organized.  Sometimes,  those plans don't go according to Hoyle.  I don't know who he was, but apparently he never failed.  Like that feather, it seems, I am at the mercy of the breeze today.
      Today, I will go wherever the wind blows, because, Hoyle, I am not.





Comments

Popular Posts