Having Moxie For Moxie!

     Sometimes we have to bite our tongue, at some time, we all have to do it.
     I have a hard time staying quiet, especially if I see something that seems unjust.  Standing up for someone or something, that can't is part of what makes me who I am.  I can't change that, any more than I can change the colour of my eyes.
     I have seen things in my 52 years, that have made me sad, mad, and some.things have broken my heart.
     Early this morning, I drove my brother to work, while his car was being repaired.   On the way home, I saw a man walking his dog.  Well, more like dragging.  This poor dog, had his tongue hanging out, and his eyes were bulging out, he was close to death, I am sure.
     I stopped rather abruptly, and jumped out of my car.  I ran over to the dog, and yanked on his leash, knocking the man dragging him, off balance.   He turned around and when he realized why he lost his balance, his face turned hard and he began swearing at me.  He wanted to know what I thought I was doing.  I said, "I am saving this dogs life!"  He told me I should mind my own business.  This, is where holding my tongue, or not holding my tongue comes in.
     I picked up the dog, and unhooked his leash.  I stroked his head and spoke softly to him, reassuring him that he was safe.  His owner, was still yelling and swearing at me, and he threatened to call the police.  Again,  my tongue jumped into action, long before my brain could catch up.  I shot back, "You do that, because I will be more than happy to tell them how you were abusing this poor dog!"  He took a step back, I don't think he was used to being stood up to, he certainly wasn't happy.
     By this point, a woman came out of her house, hearing all of the yelling.  She asked if everything was alright.  The angry man, told her to go back in her house and "fu*k off!"  That was not a wise move, the lady squinted her eyes, ignoring him and asked me what was happening.   I quickly explained the events of the past 5 minutes.  She began  clucking her tongue, sympathetically.
     She, turned her attention on the man now.  Let me say, he stood there, not saying a word.  She asked him why he would have a dog if he wasn't going to love and cherish it.  He was clearly aggravated by this time, telling us he had to get home and go to work.  He said "I never wanted this dog, I inherited it a few months ago, after my mom died."
     That explains it, I thought.  The woman, vocalized my thoughts.  "Well, if you don't want him, I will take him!"  The man threw up his hands and said "Great!"  I asked him what the dogs name was.  "Moxie" was all he said, and he was gone.
     I said his name and Moxie looked at me with thankful eyes.  "Awe, poor boy, you're going to be OK now." I told him.  He began to wag his tail.  The lady, who had come to our rescue,  took Moxie from my arms.  She was cooing and making clucking noises like old ladies do to babies.   I asked her if she was really going to take him.  "Oh yes, I am!" She told me.  "My dog has been gone almost a year, it's time for a new friend."  The dog seemed to sense he was safe.  He was relaxed and looked like he was smiling.
     Moxie, is defined as force of character, determination or nerve.  What a great name.  I needed to have moxie, for Moxie.
     Moxie made a new friend, and  found a new home with a wonderful, loving woman.  I felt OK leaving Moxie.
     Sometimes, I have to bite my tongue, thankfully, today wasn't one of them.  Moxie didn't have anyone to stand up for him.   I, was his advocate when he needed one.  I, was his voice, when he couldn't speak for himself.  For once, my brain doesn't regret what my tongue said.



   


Comments

Popular Posts