My Ice Cream Heart

     The heart wants what the heart wants.  Whether it's another piece of double  chocolate fudge cake, or forbidden love.  You can't reason with your heart, it has no logic.  The heart is an organ, fuelled strictly by emotions.
     This morning, as I was pulling out of Tim Hortons, I saw an old pick up truck.   It was old, from the 40's.  There were no windshield wipers, or outside door handles.  The front was big, with a rounded hood.  I thought of my dad.
     Instead of that old familiar stab in my heart, that used to bring me to my knees, I smiled.  I smiled broad and wide, thinking of how my dad would have enjoyed seeing that old truck.  He would have a story to go along with it, and if he were still alive, I would have been regaled with a story from his youth.  I had heard them all before, but what I wouldn't give to hear one of his stories again.  My dad, used to have an old truck when I was very young.  He always appreciated old cars and trucks, and he could tell you the specifics on them.
    My heart, was flooded with a surge of warmth...and joy.  This was huge for me, I felt happy, remembering my dad, not distraught and overwhelmed by his loss.
     As I was driving, I saw the school that my granddaughter attends.  As it so happens, she, and her classmates were lining up against the fence, waiting to go into class.  I pulled into the parking lot, and stopped beside the fence, just watching my granddaughter.   She wasn't aware I was there, and I could see her in her natural school element.   She was smiling sweetly, standing patiently in line.   A little girl behind her was poking another child and misbehaving.   My granddaughter, turned around, and pointed her finger at the little girl and told her to stop.  The other child, being duly chastised, stopped.  "That a girl!"  I said to myself.  She's a chip off of grandma's block.  As my granddaughter was turning her attention back to her teacher,  she noticed me.  Her face lit up and she giggled and waved a little wave, quietly mouthing "Hi grandma!"  I waved back and we blew each other a kiss.   My heart almost exploded with love and pride for that sweet little girl.
     She walked into her class, and I continued on my way.   I was smiling.
     I arrived at my daughters house, and as I slowly opened her front door.  My grandson, was pushing his sisters grocery cart, jibbering away, and then he saw me standing there.  His eyes opened wide, and he squealed, running over to me,  arms open yelling mama.  That is what he calls me.  I bent down, and scooped up my little bundle of energy, burying my face into his belly.  He was giggling and squealing with excitement and laughter.   I could feel my heart swelling right there in my chest, as my grandson gave me his slobbery kiss, and my daughter stood there, watching us, smiling.
      Some people's hearts are like an ocean, deep and dark, some are like the sun, hot and burning, while others are like an ice burg, cold and hard.  Mine, I have decided, is like ice cream.  It can be cold and hard only for a short time.  Like ice cream, it melts, and turns into mush.  That's me alright, a soft, drippy mess!
     Yes, the heart wants what the heart wants, love, acceptance, and joy.  Here's to your heart, may you always get and give
love.




Comments

Popular Posts