Don't Follow My Footsteps, I Walk Into Walls!

     Some days, you dance the ballet, some days, you walk on a cloud, me, I seem to prefer to walk into the wall.
     This past weekend was one of those times.  I finally went to my local ER department.  My foot was more sore on Saturday than it had been a week ago, after breaking my toe.  I understand a break takes time to heal, however my whole foot was swelling up and hurting more and more every day.
      Thankfully it wasn't busy at the hospital, so I was called in right away.  I had an x-ray of my right foot.  Two doctors came into the examination room and proceeded to probe and move my foot.  The one doctor, I had seen before during my many heart episodes, the other identified himself as an orthopedic surgeon.
     The ER doctor held my right calf very firmly, while the orthopedic surgeon began touching my toes.  He asked me to remove the sock from my left foot so he could compare them.  I obliged, or at least, I began to.  While I was pulling my sock off, all hell broke loose on my right foot.
     The orthopedic surgeon pushed the heel of his hand onto my foot and at the same time, pulled my last two toes sharply to the right.  "Yeeoooww!  What the heck are you doing?"  I yelled.  Just like that, it was over.
     The orthopedic surgeon explained to me that not only was my baby toe broken, my foot was as well.  Being as I hadn't gone to the hospital when I first injured my foot, it began to set wrong.  That pain I had just experienced was him re-breaking my foot and re-setting it.
     I was shocked, and still reeling from the pain of having my foot broken.  "Aren't you supposed to sedate me or something?" I asked.  The ER doctor looked at me, and said in a bored tone, "I've seen you undergo cardioversions without sedation numerous times.  You're tough, this is no big deal."  I was sputtering "No big deal?"  If I didn't think I would hurt my foot more, I would have kicked him right in the chops.  "As*hole" I muttered to myself.
     Both doctors explained to me that I would need an air cast.   I told him I already had one.  A co-worker of my husband, was kind enough to let me use his.
     After the doctors gave me directions on my foot and told me to come back in six weeks to have another x-ray, the orthopedic surgeon told me if my foot didn't set correctly, I would have to have surgery to re-set it with a pin.  All of this because I stubbed my toe!
     I managed to get myself home and put the air cast on.  Oh good grief, that thing may just be the death of me, or at least be responsible for breaking my leg.  Walking in an air cast seemed to be a real challenge for me.  I felt like my right leg was walking in water, but my left leg was walking in fast motion.  I kept tripping myself as I walked.
I have to wear this thing for six weeks, I just may need to need to hibernate for this.
     We had our grandchildren Saturday night, which added yet another element of fun to the air cast experience.   I took it off later in the night because it was driving me crazy.   My grandson, put it on and was walking around like he was a seasoned skier.   Huh, go figure, I thought.  Between he and my granddaughter, they were having a hoot.  I had to agree, it was much more fun watching them walk in it than me!
     Sunday was just as challenging, I had to take it off again and just elevate my foot.  My husband chastised me for not wearing the air cast.  He was right, but I couldn't walk around with it anymore.  I decided to just sit for the rest of the day.
     Today, is another day.   I'm gimping around with this air cast on, doing my best not to fall.  I'm frustrated and I just want to take it off.  I can't of course.  Oh well, I will just have to take it day by day.  Until then, I continue to walk into walls.


Comments

Popular Posts