Is My Name Genie?

     Some days I feel like a Genie in a lamp.  I just get comfortable, then wham! Somebody rubs the lamp so out I must go.
     Yesterday was one of those days.  In the morning, my daughter called to ask if she could use my car.  She had a doctor appointment.  I told her I would drop it off after I took my granddaughter to school.
     My granddaughter had spent the night with me, so I had to get her breakfast, make her lunch, and brush her hair, all before dropping her off at school.
     Knowing I was going out of town with my friend Lisa, later in the morning, I delivered my car to my daughter's townhouse so she could get to her appointment.
     I had to call Lisa and tell her to pick me up at my daughters instead of my house.  I stood outside waiting for her.  It was cold, and I really wanted a cup of coffee.  My whole morning had changed course in a matter of minutes, and I still had yet to drink my coffee that was sitting at home on the table.
     After ten minutes of standing in the cold, I called Lisa to see what her eta was.  She laughed and told me she had made a wrong turn, but she would be there in a couple of minutes.   Okay, I thought,  I can no longer feel my cheeks, because of the wind, I can wait a couple more minutes.   Of course, I thought, I could be at home, warm and toasty drinking my coffee, instead of standing out here jumping up and down to stay warm.
     Lisa sped up the street and almost drove past me.  She realized her mistake after she was ten feet ahead of me.  I jumped into the front passenger side, as she was laughing.  "Sorry."  She said, "I didn't notice you."  "Lisa."  I said, "If you can't see me doing full blown jumping jacks beside the street, you better let me drive!"
    She laughed again, as we drove off.  She had to deliver something for her business, and she needed a hand.  Lisa had asked me a few days before if I would help her with with this delivery, but also I think, because she needed to talk.  Sometimes just airing your problems is therapy enough.  I was merely a sympathetic ear while she spoke.
     She delivered her product, so she dropped me off at home just in time for my husband to leave for work.  A quick kiss goodbye and he was gone.  I could see he wasn't impressed.
     I was finally home, and I was hungry.  I never had a chance to eat breakfast, or lunch.  I decided a bowl of cereal would suffice.  I had just spooned my first bite into my mouth when my phone was ringing.  It was my aunt.
     She asked if I could come over and help her move her sofa.  She had dropped her crochet hook behind it, but she couldn't retrieve it without moving the sofa.  She couldn't move it by herself.   "Okay.  I'll be right over." I told her.  I ate a few more spoonfulls of cereal to stop my belly from complaining so loudly.
     As I walked out to my driveway, I remembered my daughter had my car.   I had to run back to the house, and get the keys for my son's Jeep.  Naturally, it had no fuel, so I had to go over to the gas station and fill it up.  Twenty dollars poorer, I was on my way.
     The sofa was moved, for my aunt, so we sat and chatted for an hour.  By this time, it was almost four pm.  I knew I had to get home and start dinner.
     As I sat with my husband, while he ate dinner, I yawned.  I had been busy all day, but had accomplished nothing.  My husband could sense I was not listening to him.  I apologized and explained I was tired.  He told me I should learn to say "No." More often.  He was right, I should, but that's no me.  I asked if he wanted me to begin with him!
     I finally arrived home, and when I did, I changed into my pyjamas.  I knew I wasn't doing anything more for anyone else by then...at least I hoped not.  If so, I was changing my name to Genie.
   
   

Comments

Popular Posts