Seasoning Your Life

     The ice outside my back door this morning was nothing short of treacherous.  My granddaughter and I were slipping and sliding all along the path from the door to the gate.  Thankfully, we had the wall and gate to hold to keep us upright.
     My granddaughter told me we needed some salt on the ice, I, concurred with her one hundred percent.   As we were driving to her school, she asked me why we use salt to melt ice, but also use salt to flavour our foods.  Good question!
     I tried to explain to her that salt lowers the temperature of ice, which forces the ice to melt and preventing the ice from freezing again.  She accepted that answer and said "Wow grandma, salt can multitask!"  Hmmm...multitask?   I guess she was right.  It does in fact do more than one job, so it does multitask.
     After I dropped her off, I ran to the store and bought some Safe-t-salt.  I scattered it all around the gate, along the path and in front of the back door.  I was smiling as I threw it on the ground.  My granddaughter is a thinker, I love that, I think it's great that she does.
       When we think about it, most of us think about salt as a seasoning on food.   Salt is a huge part of our everyday life, not just flavouring for our tomatoes.
     Salt has received a bad rap over the past few decades, mostly because we overindulge.  However, we need salt in our body to make it function properly.  Salt maintains fluid function and cardiovascular function.  It also helps with neurological health as well as aids in digestion.
     If you have sore muscles, or an infection, soaking on Epsom salts, can relieve the inflammation, and pain.
     Hard water benefits from salt as well.  Salt softens the water, enabling you to use less soap, shampoo or laundry and dish soap.  It also prevents your pipes from being corroded by lime.
     True, too much salt can also cause cardiovascular disease, along with other problems.
      Now, people are doing the salt/ice challenge.  The idea is to pour salt onto an ice cube, which is sitting on your bare skin.  The person tries to keep it on their skin for as long as they can take it.  Salt/ice on the bare skin causes a chemical burn - a bad one.  Doing this challenge proves you are not tough or strong, it challenges your IQ!
     Salt, it does more than season our food, it melts ice, preserves food and helps our body to function in a healthy state.

 

Comments

Popular Posts