The Magic Of Music

     Sometimes you just have to...sing!  Singing for joy, loneliness, sadness, or simply just to remember bygone days.
     Hearing a song, or even just a few bars of a song can transport us back in time.   Music illicits real emotions in us that can stir us to our very soul.  Being as most of us don't have a transporter, or our own Scottie to beam us up, or transport us to these coordinates, we have to rely on our senses to fire up a memory, so we can hitch a ride.
     This past weekend, and even now, I have been suffering with a terrible head cold.   Saturday, with gobs of Vicks stuck up and around my nose, I drove to our local market.  As I was driving, the radio was playing music from 1974.  I heard Ringo Starr sing You're Sixteen.  All of a sudden, I was his back up vocals, dancing on my bed, singing into my hairbrush. Even though my eyes were swollen, my nose red and sore from blowing, I had a huge goofy grin on my face.  When I was finished, and on my way back home, Babs, was singing "Memories..." from the song and movie The Way We Were.  I was singing to myself in the bathroom mirror, with all of the emotion a nine year old girl can muster from what she imagines a broken heart feels like.  Wow.
     I was enjoying revisiting 1974, so I turned on the radio in my kitchen.  I continued my emotional roller-coaster, as I listened to these old songs.  Seasons in the Sun,  and Sunshine on my Shoulder, made me think of my dad tinkering in the garage on a hot summer day, the garage door open, his transistor radio playing the same songs as I sat in there with him sorting screws.  Then, I thought of my oldest brother, now estranged, as I heard You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, and  Band on the Run.  My brother, pumping gas for customers as my twin brother and I fill up our bike tires with air, before going swimming.
     Who can forget Ray Stevens singing The Streak?  "Oh yes they call him the streak!  Boogity  Boogity! "  A song reflective of the streaking phase of the seventies.
      In my grade four gym class, girls and boys were learning how to dance to popular music.  Kung-fu Figniting, and The Night Chicago Died, still makes me think of sweaty hands and nervous laughing.
     Music is magical.  It calms us, ignites passion, it can evoke tears, or laughter, and also bring peace.
     Music is a powerful mode of transportation.   It doesn't require a passport, travel insurance, or does it incur any extra fees.
     We really should stop once in a while to smell the roses, and in the words of The Doobie Brothers, Whoa, listen to the music.  All the time.
Here is You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, by Bachman Turner Overdrive.  Enjoy
   https://youtu.be/cFRk0FfaQi0


Comments

Popular Posts