No, Easy To Say, Hard To Hear

     No.  It's a tiny, one syllable word, but the power, and yes, anger it can invoke from simply saying it, is incredible.
     Sometimes you just have to say "No."  I, myself have a difficult time saying that word.  I try to be helpful, and kind to others, I really do.  However, to a few people, hearing that word come out of my mouth is as offensive to me as hearing someone say the Lord's name in vain.
     Today, I had to use the "N" word.  It was as well received as Mike Tyson's biting   Evander Holyfield's ear, just as messy, and caused a huge hullabaloo.  Because, I am an empathetic person, I tried to explain my reasons for saying no.  It didn't matter, this person refused to listen, and became belligerent and rude to me, as well.
     I sighed as I sat, my husband told me to blame him, and say he was being the heavy.  I didn't, what difference did it make?  I am the one who said no, and I will be the one to suffer whatever consequences come with today's meltdown.  "What else is new?" I muttered under my breath.
     Just once, I wish I could say that little word without all of the shrapnel that comes with it.  Just once, I wish this particular individual would be mature and accept the answer without spurting a litany of profanity.  Just once...
     I have researched this conundrum.  From what I have read, it's called Oppositional Defiance Disorder. So, now there is a clinical term for being a self righteous, selfish as*hole!  I don't care what the professionals call it, these people are no different than a toddler having a temper tantrum.   They need a good swift slap on the backside and told to "be quiet!"  We don't accept it from a child, so why should society have to accept it from a jerk who feels entitled?   I, for one, refuse.
     What happened to our civilization?  Teenagers not only talk back to their parents, they tell them where to go, and how.  People no longer have respect for police officers, teachers, their boss, or anyone in authority.
     Now, we applaud and cheer if a kid defends another kid, or if they do well, or if they give up their seat on the bus for an elderly person.  We are cheering for them to do what we were expected to do.  If not, we would have had our head rearranged.  It's called common decency, unfortunately, it seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird, extinct.
     Teenagers, and young adults are not the only ones, there are many middle-aged people suffering from a lack of empathy and decency, not to mention, a deplorable lack of any sort of work ethic.
     I was taught, if you want something, work for it, if you can walk, then don't ask for a ride, if you can't afford it, don't buy it.  Simple, yet almost inapplicable today.
     No, it doesn't always have to be a negative word.  Wouldn't it be nice, if instead of the nashing of teeth, when we said "no" we would hear the words, "no problem"?

Comments

Popular Posts