Wanting What You Have

     I think people in western society are a covetous, never satisfied, group of people.  Today, while shopping at a big box retail store, I could see and hear many people buy or talk about buying new things.
     Now, there is nothing wrong with buying things, but I have to wonder how we went from only buying something new when you need it, to buying something new because you want to treat yourself, to buying something new just because.
     I am no different,  I too see something and I want it.  That's human nature.  However, it isn't a good thing.  Always wanting, breeds selfishness, and a feeling of never being satisfied.
     When God brought down the ten commandments to Moses, His last one was "Thou shall not covet!"  He knew that the desire for always wanting more was unhealthy.   Unfortunately, we ignore that commandment, along with others.
     We have turned into a throw away society.   Retail nirvana is alive and well and money, debit cards, and credit spending are rampant.
     Today, I overheard a young couple talking about buying a new television.   It was a seventy five inch, for over two thousand dollars.  They were talking about buying it on credit and paying it off over the next eighteen months.  That is a lot of money,  plus interest incurred, I wouldn't want to pay that bill.  The kicker was, they already had a fifty five inch television that they bought two years before.  They were talking about where they would put it when they bought the new one.  They decided the guest room would be a great spot.  My question is why did they need a new one?  Why do we feel the need for something bigger, better or newer if what we have still works?
     Half of my house is our of date.  Old kitchen, original hard wood floors, things that still work but aren't new or even stylish.  Sure, I think it would be nice to get a new kitchen, but then I think, why?  Is it going to make me a better cook, or clean itself?  No.  Why bother.
     Wanting something new and fresh is human nature, but so is murder, that doesn't make either right.
     There is a proverb I heard a long time ago.  It is very true.  It's better to have want what you have, then to have what you want.





Comments

Popular Posts