Just Drive

     When will people learn to stop texting/calling with their phone while driving?  When they kill someone, a family member or quite possibly, themselves?
     This morning, I was sitting at a red light.  There was a lady in front of me texting, I could tell by her posture-head down, and shoulders hunched.  A truck was behind me, and in the rear view mirror, I could see him texting as well.
     The light had turned green, but the lady ahead of me didn't notice, because she was still on her phone.  The guy behind me, obviously put his head up long enough to notice the light had turned green.  He was however, back on his phone once again.
     Being as I was in between these two idiots, I had the sense to pull into the other lane, which I did...just in time to avoid being rear ended by the guy in the truck.  He assumed since the light was green, all of the cars were moving, like him.  I guess he thought the rest of us driving were obeying the law.  He was wrong.
      Instead of hitting me, he hit the lady in the car that was ahead of me.  Both of them looked confused when they heard the smash.  I pulled over onto a side street.  I watched as the guy in the truck and the lady in the car began yelling at each other.   She was yelling at him for going to fast.  He was yelling at her for not going at all.  The intersection was blocked.
     A police cruiser pulled up a few minutes later, and proceeded to look at both vehicles.  A lady, who had been waiting at the bus stop told the officer she had witnessed the accident.  Upon hearing her tell the officer that she had seen the lady in the car on her phone, the cop pulled out his ticket book.  At this point, the officer saw me in my car watching.  He came over and asked me if I had seen what happened.   I told him I had.
     I explained to him the events, and how I decided to move just in time to avoid being struck.  The young officer looked at me incredulously and asked "So they were both on their phone?"  "Yes." I said, "They were."   He shook his head and walked back to the blocked intersection.  He began writing multiple tickets.
     The lady in the car, had her whole trunk area smashed in.  The guy in the truck, had the hood all crinkled.   They both would have to pay to get their vehicles repaired.  Being as they were both charged with careless driving, and distracted driving, I imagine their insurance will sky rocket.
     It could have been much much worse.  Someone could have been seriously injured, or even killed if they had been walking through the intersection.
     My husband always says "Education is expensive."  I hope, they and the people watching, learned as well.
     Texting and driving, don't do it
Watch this short video, that shows how quickly things can happen.
   https://youtu.be/R22WNkYKeo8


Comments

Popular Posts