Diet Is The Worst Four Letter Word!

     Four letter words are considered taboo in our society.  We all know them, some start with a "s", some a "f", while others begin with "c".  They are all bad, however, the worst 4 letter word I know is diet.  
     Just look at the word and you will see I am right.  The word has "DIE" in it.  That can't be good, death, suffering, crying, sadness.  Diet is definitely a bad word!
     My friend Char and I have begun a journey to becoming healthier,  and hopefully a little slimmer too.  We support each other, we're positive and if one of us needs a kick in the back side, we take it and say "Thank you. "
     Of course, at the beginning of a diet, weighing and measuring yourself is a must.  How else do you gage your success?   After climbing on the scale, and seeing the numbers, I jumped off and paced around the kitchen floor about 10 times.  I walked back to the scale and called it every 4 letter word I know and said it was a liar!  How could this have happened?
     Some people look at themselves in the mirror and always see themselves as being fat, even if they are a walking skeleton.   I look at myself and see myself 25 years ago.  I don't see pounds of extra flesh.  Consequently, it's a shock when the number on the scale doesn't match the number in my head!  I'm special like that.
     As well, why is it when you begin a diet, you always crave everything you can't have?  Since Monday, I have craved cookies, ice cream, chocolate, anything sweet and I am not a sweet person!  (Ask my husband,  he'll attest to that, especially when I'm dieting).  Usually,  I crave salty snacks, chips, popcorn, or peanuts.   This week, even my cats food is making my mouth water.
     I know it's all psychological, but my brain is telling my body to eat everything.   My eyes aren't any help, they get me into trouble too.  Today, my grandchildren were with me, they were splitting a chocolate chip cookie.  I wanted to help clean my grandson's face...with my tongue!   I just kept reminding myself I am making a smart choice for my health, and it will not only benefit myself  but my family as well.
     My husband and son can eat anything and not gain weight.   Me, I gain weight simply by cooking it, I am sure thanks to osmosis, I have gained weight through the years.
     Anyone who has never struggled with weight does not understand.  It's no different than an alcohol or drug addiction.  Hey, if gambling can be considered an addiction, so can food.
     So, it's fresh vegetables and fruit, and lean protein for me.  I love salads, L O V E them!  But, when I am on a diet, salads loose their appeal.  Instead, I fantasize about chips and chocolate!   Sorry honey, but a good romp isn't on my mind these days, not unless it involves you feeding me treats.
     I swear, every other commercial on tv is for food.  Slow motion, high definition lovely food, bouncing across my screen.  I  run to the kitchen and open up my fridge or cupboards.  Why, I do not know.  I know there is nothing there that will satisfy my lust for these foods, but I do it anyway.  I wonder if I can call this futile exercise, a full cardio workout.
     I  go to bed and visions of confectionary delights dance in my head.  I have a one track mind.  I have become primal, grunting "Food, must feed the beast!"  But, I don't.   Instead, I nibble on celery, cucumbers, and lean chicken.
     When I am not depriving myself, I crave nothing.  So, I try to trick myself and say it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.  My mind is smarter than that!  It says diet!
     It's still the first week, it will get better, more energy, higher self esteem, lower number on the scale, all positive reasons to stick with it.
     Regardless, it is a lifestyle change and a healthy way of living.  I can't do yoga, I'm banned from that, but thankfully my mother in law has an exercise bike for me to pedal off the pounds.  Not sure how I am going to break that news to my ass!

Comments

Popular Posts